To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics;
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills;
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service ; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments;
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control;
- Oral Communication – Able to speak and understand English language; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings;
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Able to read and interpret written English;
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit;
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes a harassment-free environment;
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values;
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values;
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions;
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments;
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness;
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly;
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events;
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time;
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan;
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Asks for and offers help when needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Library Resource Officers must be proficient in recognizing and handling conflicts, infractions and emergencies. They must understand and appreciate the different roles of security and law enforcement personnel. They must also have a customer service mindset, excellent judgment in knowing when and how to apply Library policies to individual situations, and deploy de-escalation skills as appropriate.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
Applicants must have at least one requirement below
• Minimum of 3 years consecutive security experience.
• Prior Military experience.
• Prior Law Enforcement/First Responder Experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos using the English language. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Some posts may require an individual to have knowledge of Internet programs, Word Processing software or other software as required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Where applicable: State Security Officer License; Certification in the use of weapons, State Armed License if required; Valid Drivers' License, if in driving position; CPR/AED/First Aid Certification may be needed.
Ability to pass a drug screen and criminal background check. Vehicle operators must be at least 25 years of age and have a driving record with no more than one moving violation.
• Complete and pass all SC State armed courses (SLED).
• Complete and pass Active Shooter training.
• Complete and pass CPR/First Aid/AED training.
• Complete and pass CPI training.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus and ability to see and distinguish basic colors.
Employees must be able to hear within normal speech range and alarm range.
Employees must be able to move quickly in any emergency and must be capable of handling portable fire extinguishers and other related equipment when necessary.
Employees must be mentally and emotionally stable. They must not have psychological or physical conditions which will adversely affect their ability to act properly during situations involving mental stress.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Applicants/employees must have capacity to perform duties without risk to themselves or others. Qualified individuals must be able to perform the job requirements with or without reasonable accommodations.
Specific environment varies by post. The employee may be exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; risk of electrical shock; explosives; risk of radiation and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.