Event Logistics Student Assistant
Summer hour required during the months of June, July and August. Flexible schedule with occasional week/days off depending on supervisor summer schedule.
Definition and Purpose
Under the supervision of the Coordinator - Event Logistics, the Event Logistics Student Assistant is responsible for assisting with the clerical, staff, and customer service functions associated with the event management process. The Event Logistics Student Assistant assists the Coordinator – Event Logistics- with all aspects of event logistics.
Duties include: contacting clients to identify their needs, communicate policies and other concerns, create event diagrams, production schedules, communicate event needs in regards to audio visual and space lay-out, and maintain related files and records, Liaise with clients and to ensure customer satisfaction. Send after event surveys, analyze customer satisfaction and prepare and present findings. Propose ideas to improve provided services and event quality and assist with reservation related billing and estimates. Event Logistics Student Assistant handles a high volume of event requests and is expected to provide outstanding and courteous service, which results in high customer satisfaction.
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our employees are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally, they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Educational Requirements and Qualifying Experience
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Cal Poly with a minimum of 6 units. All ASI student staff must have a minimum GPA of 2.0. Graduate students must carry 4 units/3.0 GPA
- Reliable, self-motivated, takes initiative and works well with minimum supervision
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience working in a high volume, fast paced environment
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change
- Demonstrate a high level of attention to detail with excellent spelling, grammar, and editing skills
- Ability to be highly organized
- Ability to make routine decisions based on specific criteria/guidelines and apply judgment in performing work assignments
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service to a diverse student, staff, and faculty population
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Windows-based computer knowledge and skills
- Competency in Live 25 (University’s scheduling software) and CAD preferred
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the management of events from a “customer experience” perspective
- Respond directly to and addressing participant/customer concerns and problems
- Provide assistance and back-up to the Coordinator -Event Logistics with all aspects of ASI reservations, -, and event support.
- Work well under pressure/meet deadlines/excellent time management skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Exercise good judgment, work independently with minimal supervision.
- Be resourceful and can research data to find answers independently.
- Coordinate with various ASI areas to ensure the customer needs are met.
- Ensure compliance with University and ASI policies in providing event information users of ASI managed facilities.
- Communicate facility - policies, procedures and costs.
- Work with customer to coordinate event details, including scheduling, room diagrams, room set-up, audio visual needs and other event details as needed.
- Assist in all aspects of event preparation including identifying issues of location, food service, parking, publicity, risk management, and educate users on ASI, and University policies and procedures.
- Answer routine policy related questions.
- Processes and distribute reports via the 25 Live scheduling software.
- Compile and assemble the monthly billing information for the Event - Management Department
- Provide general office assistance (word processing, filing, mail preparation, etc.)
- Provide positive public relations, program promotion, and policy education to participants
- Adhere to all ASI departmental policies and procedures.
- Assist with special projects that support the various ASI programs and service areas
- Awareness of safety concerns and risk management.
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Attend all mandatory meetings.
- Available to work a minimum of 10 hours during Winter or Spring break (if needed)
- Summer availability (details above)
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in ASI policy as a condition of their employment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Period of Employment
Employment with this organization is of an "at will" nature, which means that the employee may resign at any time and ASI may discharge the employee at any time with or without cause.
Compensation and Hours
Pay Rate: $13.00 per hour; maximum 20 hours per week.
The Associated Students, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Date revised: 01/01/2020
This position may require sitting, standing, walking,reaching overhead, repetitive use of hands/arms, and eye/hand coordination.
Environmental factors include working inside,dry, change of temperature, working with others, working around others and working alone.