Operates and maintains the zoo’s aquatic life support systems. Also coordinates with the animal management and maintenance personnel the routine maintenance of the systems to ensure a healthy environment for the animals by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Clean, operate and maintain the zoo's water features and aquatic environments and related mechanical equipment.
- Coordinate with animal care staff on access to exhibits, work orders, and special requirements/restrictions due to animal health and safety concerns.
- Perform chemical level tests and maintain records of results, add necessary chemicals to maintain water quality and calibrate test equipment.
- Operate, clean and monitor condition of heating boilers and related systems, air conditioning equipment, electrical panels, electrical timing-controls, motors and pumps.
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Basic knowledge of pool maintenance and water sanitation methods and techniques, including skill in disinfecting plant facilities, filtering, back-washing and alkalizing required.
- Knowledge of heating boilers and their operation, and the operation and maintenance of heating and air-condition equipment, electrical panes, electrical timing-controls, motors and pumps is required.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institution’s Core Values.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid US driver license required
- Confined Space Entry permit required
- Other pertinent licenses may be required
Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand or walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather) and variable weather conditions; work near moving mechanical parts; and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to loud.
APPLICATION DIRECTIONS: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page (zoo.org/jobs) or this posting. No other forms of application will be accepted.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.