Job Title: Editorial Manager
Department: Marketing and Communications
Reports To: Associate Director of Marketing and Communications
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Reporting to the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications, the Editorial Manager is responsible for the content creation and editing of all marketing and communication efforts for the Houston Grand Opera. The Editorial Manager will handle the management and development of four to five annual issues of Opera Cues, Houston Grand Opera’s self-published magazine/program book from concept, content creation, and completion. Additionally, the Editorial Manager oversees and contributes to writing, editing, and production of the Company’s other publications including but not limited to four to six additional program books, four donor newsletters (Opera UNLEASHED) as well as digital copy, marketing and fundraising collateral, and press materials. The Editorial Manager is responsible for content creation and proofing for all marketing efforts including, direct mail, email marketing, website copy, etc. The Editorial Manager works closely with multiple departments including artistic, HGOco, HGO Studio, etc. and will serve as a resource for writing and editing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans and creates editorial content with direct input from all departments.
- Writes articles and cntributes copy, proofreads all submissions, and assists with the overall messaging in publications.
- Cmmissions writers, research reprints, and negotiates fees
- Assigns internal (staff) writers t projects
- Prject manages and contributes to the overall completion of all publications and content.
- Working with communications team and external publishers, oversees the design, production, printing, delivery and distribution of publications, including routing of internal approvals and supervision of press-checks.
- Project manages, contributes, and develops five issues of Opera Cues:
- Cntent planning with the Marketing and Communication team
- Assigns articles t various team members and edits submissions
- Wrks closely with design team for layout and pagination of publication
- Oversees advertising sales, ad delivery and ad revenue cllection for Opera Cues and manages external cntractor.
- Research and utreach to artists and artists’ management for latest bios, headshots, etc.
- Adapts copy for different platforms including web, social, advertorial, etc.
- Researches, writes, and edits company materials as needed, and provides editorial support for consumer bound communications including social media, web content, advertising copy, etc.
- Establishes, communicates, and enforces deadlines for all assignments and content submission.
- The role is collaborative with the entire organization and participates in rotating inter-departmental Communications meetings (Artistic/Production, HGOco, Development Team, and Marketing) and disseminates information from these meetings to all participants.
- Participates in rotating Front of House duties at least once a repertoire
- Manages licensing for photography and artwork as needed for any publications of the company.
- Maintains and communicates HGO’s stylistic and creative requirements.
- Provides abbreviated programs for final dress rehearsals.
- Budget management for published projects, including CUES, newsletters and program books.
- Working knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style required.