Title: Video Production Internship
Status: Part time, unpaid intern
Reports to: Associate Director of Communications
Objective: To understand and participate in video production for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
The Houston Grand Opera is seeking candidates to join the Communications team as a video intern. This individual will assist with the overall video production needs of the organization through planning, shooting, editing and will work with the team to achieve video goals of the department. The internship will provide hands-on experience with the various duties and responsibilities required to coordinate a successful video production.
The video intern will be asked to assist the Video Producer with other production duties including video archiving, motion graphics and animation development, audio post-production as well as developing social media video content. Additionally, the video intern will be required to work during performances and have a flexible schedule outside of classwork.
- Gather video assets, compile footage, and work closely with Communications department
- Assist on field or studios shoots frequently as well as performances
- Basic video editing: create loops, raw videos, social media cuts
- Log analytic insights: tracking data, tagging, metadata
- Assist with studio coordination, organization and management of equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- The candidate must be proficient in Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition, and FCPX workflows
- Familiar with ENG and DSLR cameras audio/video/lighting workflows and the ability to frame shots quickly and accurately in various settings including promotional shoots, performances and community events
- Candidates must have strong organizational and time management skills
- Passionate, sharp eye for design, and the ability to multitask
- Strong communication and leadership in a team environment. Know how to give and receive feedback.
- Candidates should have the ability to maintain a professional demeanor in the presence of performers, colleagues, VIPs and local media
- College degree or active progress towards a degree related to video
- A self-starter with a strong desire to learn
Internships for Houston Grand Opera are unpaid, but offer a great deal of hands on experience. College credit is available upon request and school approval. Interns will gain and/or improve upon his or her:
- Basic video editing
- Understanding of the video production role for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
- General computer, design and organizational skills
- Gain hands on experience with video shoots from the coordination of to the management aspects
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, mission-driven organization
- Storyboarding for creative briefs
A minimum of three months or 120 hours commitment is required. Interns are expected to work at the Houston Grand Opera's office 10 or more hours/week during office hours (8:30 am - 5:30 pm, Monday - Friday) and an additional 10 or more hours/week at events. Schedule is flexible as agreed upon by the supervisor and intern.
About the organization:
Houston Grand Opera (HGO) is one of the largest, most innovative, and most highly acclaimed opera companies in the United States. HGO was the only American finalist for Opera Company of the Year at the 2017 International Opera Awards. In fulfilling its mission to advance the operatic art to serve an ever-evolving audience, HGO has led the field in commissioning new works (65 world premieres to date) and in training and nurturing promising young artists and administrators. The company contributes to the cultural enrichment of Houston and the nation through a diverse and innovative program of performances, community events, and education projects that reaches the widest possible public. HGO's pioneering community engagement initiative, HGOco, has served as a model for other arts organizations. HGO has toured extensively and has won a Tony, two Grammy awards, and three Emmy awards. It is the only opera company to win all three honors.
Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Internships are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job related disability, or marital status.