Musical Entertainment Student Assistant (ASI Events)
Definition and Purpose
Under the supervision of the Coordinator - ASI Programs, the Musical Entertainment Student Assistant is responsible for implementing and developing guidelines and procedures that contribute to the development of safe, professionally managed and well organized musical entertainment events, including but not limited to UU Hour and Concerts. These events should strive to meet the diverse needs of the Cal Poly community. The Student Assistant will develop and implement procedures for reviewing potential entertainment, coordinate ASI staff set-up needs, parking arrangements, contract preparation, performance confirmation letters, event related correspondence, and event evaluations. Additionally, the Student Assistant will develop and implement survey tools to project student interest with regard to potential concerts and UU Hour performances assist with volunteer training and be available to work all scheduled events.
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our employees are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Educational Requirements and Qualifying Experience
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Cal Poly with a minimum of 6 units. All ASI student staff must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at Cal Poly. Graduate students must carry 4 units/3.0 cumulative GPA at Cal Poly.
- Ability to be highly organized and have good planning skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse populations and those with special limitations or needs
- Experience with program participation preferred
- Experience with administration, supervision, advising or public relations
- General knowledge of program services
- Experience in leadership or management
- Organizational abilities and experience
- Program specific experience preferred
Ability to supervise student staff, volunteers and/or participants
Supervise program participants
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a quarterly program/timeline for all musical entertainment activities
- Provide ongoing evaluation of all ASI Events musical events
- Devise a process of reviewing promotional material of potential entertainers including bands/solo acts, other types of performers
- Be available to work scheduled events
- Develop relationships with local establishments to provide routing opportunities
- Serve as liaison for musical events
- Act as a runner and load in contact for all musical entertainment events
- Oversight and management of musical entertainment budget
- Maintain familiarity with evacuation plan for work area
- Attend all mandatory meetings, workshops, and retreats
- Provide quality customer service for all staff and customers
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Maintain prompt office hours and follow absence procedures
- Maintain a positive and professional relationship with staff and co-workers
- Adhere to and enforce all ASI departmental policies and procedures
- Ensure a safe environment for all participants
- Commitment to student development and leadership
- Act as a program ambassador at all times with extensive program knowledge
- Serve as a role model
- Other duties as assigned
Period of Employment
Employment with this organization is of an "at will" nature, which means that the employee may resign at any time and ASI may discharge the employee at any time with or without cause.
This position is subject to a background check (including criminal records) as well as National Address Locater (Social Security Number [SSN] Trace), 7 year County Criminal Search in each county and/or state the applicant lived in based on the SSN Trace, National Criminal Database Search, Name Search, Employment Verification (All employers in past 7 years) and Education Verification (Highest Degree). Credit Reports, Motor Vehicle Record Check and Professional License Verification may also be required based upon the essential functions of the position.
Compensation and Hours
Pay Range: $12.00 per hour; maximum 20 hours per week.
Date of Last Equity Review: 1/1/2019
The Associated Students, Inc. is committed to equal access to employment, facilities and programs regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity and gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), medical condition, genetic information, age, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Associated Students, Inc. is an equal opportunity Title VII employer.