Title: Director of Business Development
Reports To: Executive Director, GCSC
Status: Full Time (40+ hours)
What You Will Accomplish
You will lead the sports commission's strategic sales plan to grow the sports tourism market in the region through industry hotel groups, sports groups and stakeholders. Responsible to develop strategies and tactics to drive efforts for new sales through coordination of sports partners, hotels and facilities. You will foster a relationship with key accounts and lead the bid process. You will manage, guide, and inspire a Sports Sales team to implement all the tactics to promote and sell Columbus as a premier sports event destination.
Responsibilities will include:
Sales Strategy and Deliverables
- Lead the preparation of the annual sports sales plan and budget in conjunction with sales team and Executive Director. Responsible for working to the sales plan and budget.
- Establish sales missions, direct sales and FAMs organized for the purpose of promoting sports tourism. Evaluates effectiveness and makes changes as warranted.
- Ensure that sales each year are on budget related to direct sales and promotions.
- Ensure preparation of all production-related reports for industry and community meetings (i.e. Board, BDF, TMM, Joint Sales Committee meetings etc..).
- Oversee development of bid submissions and presentations, as well as preparations for client events and site inspections.
- Assist Executive Director in formulating policy, setting goals and objectives and quantifying the results of sales activities and programs.
- Responsible for coordination and oversight of weekly sales meetings.
- Identify and create strategies for the cultivation of new markets.
- Direct research for marketing plan, reporting data for industry and performance, and compilation and distribution to industry and key stakeholders.
- Responsible for account management of certain key accounts.
- Meet all clients when they are in Columbus for site inspections and events while coordinating similar meetings for the Executive Director where necessary or applicable.
- Work in conjunction with the marketing and events team to deliver on the contractual obligations of sports event contracts.
- Responsible for representing the sales team for all contracted sports events and a pre- and post-event business report to the leadership team and finance committee based on budgeted and contracted obligations for every sports event.
- Manage sales effort on a day-to-day basis; ensure the sales staff is strategically progressing; develop and sustain measures of accountability through goal setting.
- Train, motivate and strategically work with staff to meet departmental goals.
- Establish specific annual room night goals for the Sports market segment.
- Participate regularly in local industry meetings (i.e. BDF, CFA, Board of Directors meeting) with area hotel sales leaders and other suppliers for the purpose of disseminating information, coordinating citywide sales activities and getting feedback from the sales community.
- Develop and oversee Local Organizing Committees.
- Establish and maintain excellent relationships with local and non-local hotel, business and civic leaders and others in the community who are partners in increasing Columbus' share in sports market.
The ideal candidate will have had at least 6 - 8 years previous experience working for a sports commission, and/or Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) industry experience, with at least 4 years increasingly responsible least four (4) years in a bid development or sports marketing leadership role.
The role requires national sales account experience with the ability to assess RFP's, write reports and executive compelling bids that meet technical requirements. at the need leadership skills. A professional demeanor is important with strong written and verbal communication skills - communication occurs via email, phone and in person. You must have the ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentations.
Must be comfortable and self-confident to initiate contact and present to corporate partners, board members, Executive level clients, vendors and internal team members. You need to have a passion for the sports industry as well as Columbus and be knowledgeable about its attractions, events and activities. Don't worry we will help provide you with the necessary training and information about Columbus through our CTA classes.
You are willing to travel overnight 10-20% of the time to conferences and client locations. You also can work evenings and weekends for client site visits and GCSC functions.
Specific qualifications required include:
- Bachelor's Degree in business, sales/marketing, sports management, hospitality management, business or equivalent knowledge gained through on the job experience and training
- Additional knowledge, skills or experience that would be helpful in this role:
- Experience using Simple View Customer Relations Management (CRM) system
The Greater Columbus Sports Commission's mission is to rally Columbus to compete and win sporting events, providing a singular athlete and fan experience and positively impacting image, economy and?lifestyle. In 2002, the Greater Columbus Sports Commission was created to attract professional, collegiate, amateur and youth events to the Greater Columbus Region. We are a sister organization and LLC of Experience Columbus, whose mission is to sell, market and promote the Destination Columbus experience to visitors.?
Our Core Values: Collaborative, Passionate, Strategic, Integrity, Motivated
What You Will Experience with US
- Dedication to your professional growth
- Continuing education opportunities in the industry to develop the knowledge and skills to enhance your career
- Company-wide recognition opportunities
- An open-door policy that applies to each employee, including the CEO
- Opportunities to be hands-on and involved with Columbus brands, attractions and activities
- Opportunities to collaborate with civic leaders and community organizations that promote Columbus
- Team building events and celebrations through our Employee Appreciation Team
- A focus on your quality of life
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance for you and your family unit
- Company Paid Short- and Long-Term Disability coverage and Life Insurance
- 401(k) plan - with a generous employer match
- Accommodating office environment - with option for a standing desk
- Work in the heart of the Arena District - with walkable access to downtown restaurants and attractions, including the Scioto Mile walking/bike path
- Flexible work schedules and generous PTO and holidays off
- Wellness incentives and activities - including free monthly 1:1 coaching sessions through AccellWell
- Commitment to the environment through our Green Committee efforts and activities (recognized as a Columbus GreenSpot)
- Free monthly covered parking
- Drop off/ pickup dry cleaning onsite
- Employee discount on select merchandise in the Visitor Center Shops
- Access to complimentary coffee and beverages
Experience Columbus and Greater Columbus Sports Commission are equal opportunity employers and are committed to maintaining an active nondiscriminatory work environment. The Greater Columbus Sports Commission does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, age (40 and older), sex, gender identity or expression, familial status, veteran status, military status, genetic information, disability or any other factor protected by applicable law.