Title: Intern, Greater Columbus Sports Commission
Schedule: Spring semester, January 2020- May 2020.
Internship start and end dates are flexible based on the selected candidate's individual class schedule. The internship will require 10-15 hours per week, scheduled generally during the day (8am to 5pm) with some evening and weekend hours possible. Days and hours would be arranged around coursework, as we understand school comes first.
Compensation: This is a paid internship at $12.00/hour. Experience may also be applied towards academic credit.
Location: The internship is located at the headquarters in the Arena District. Transportation to the office is not provided by the Sports Commission. There are many available options for transportation and a parking pass may be made available.
Supervision: Day to day activities will be assigned and monitored by Events, Business Development and Marketing staff members. Interns must be able to establish close working relationships with team at all levels.
What You Will Accomplish
In this internship you will actively work in all areas of the Sports Commission on a variety of operational tasks, projects and events. You will gain experience in the planning and hosting of sporting events, marketing, event management and business development. You will have the opportunity to network with area professionals, receive coaching and improve your professional and communication skills.
The specific projects in the internship depends upon current initiatives and sporting events taking place in the Greater Columbus region at the time. A sampling of tasks/projects include:
- Attend onsite visits and walk through from current and prospective clients
- Assist with the preparation of events logistics (venue management, signage, hospitality, transportation, food and beverage, volunteers, etc.)
- Working directly with internal and external events management teams via promotional activities, volunteer recruitment and administrative support to ensure the events are successful
- Garnering community support through procurement of promotional items
- Assisting with marketing tactics, including bid research and CRM database updates
- Aid in distribution of marketing and promotional materials
- Assisting the business development team with various research for prospective events.
- Aid in Sports Commission events including:
The Women's Sports Report (February)
USA Fencing Junior Olympic Championships (February)
OHSAA Boys and Girls Basketball State Championships (March)
NCAA Division III Women's Basketball Championship (March)
This internship is designed for students currently enrolled in an accredited College/University program, preferably in a sport management or hospitality major. Preference will be given to third- or fourth-year students.
Competencies and skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong writing and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Consistent, reliable and professional demeanor
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of Greater Columbus community
- Able to work independently & think critically; self-starter
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment during events
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment includes an office environment (viewing computer monitors) with moderate noise. The events environment may vary to include both indoor and outdoor requirements including large arenas, stadiums and/or convention centers requiring the ability to lift up to 25 pounds and ability to be standing or on your feet for extended periods of time during events.
The Greater Columbus Sports Commission's mission is to rally Columbus to compete and win sporting events, providing a singular athlete and fan experience and positively impacting image, economy and lifestyle. In 2002, the Greater Columbus Sports Commission was created to attract professional, collegiate, amateur and youth events to the Greater Columbus Region. We are a sister organization and LLC of Experience Columbus, whose mission is to sell, market and promote the Destination Columbus experience to visitors.
Our Core Values: Collaborative, Passionate, Strategic, Integrity, Motivated