|Horton Lees Brogden Lighting Design is an internationally recognized design firm focused on architectural lighting for both interior and exterior environments. We are inspired by the artistry of light and its impact on the natural and architectural environment. We infuse our core values of artistry, legacy, curiosity, balance, and integrity into every project. We thrive with intriguing projects that engage us conceptually and challenge us technically. We seek to enhance our clients' experiences and create a legacy of design that respects its environment and promotes a better future. Our services are customized to provide the best lighted environments to meet our clients' needs.
HLB is a collaborative firm, filled with dynamic people whose enthusiasm for what we do infuses both our professional and personal lives. We are driven by an experienced team that is rewarded for its originality, commitment, and leadership. Our Principals are engaged in every project from concept to commissioning to ensure the clients' needs are realized at every step. Our design and technical experts hail from many parts of the world and form the basis for HLB's proven ability to produce outstanding, award-winning designs.
As designers, we promote a positive vision of the future, based upon the belief that many of the environmental problems we face are design challenges. We believe a successful project starts with a collaborative mind-set in support of a common goal: to achieve energy-effective, high-quality environments for owners through intelligent lighting design, design that holistically integrates daylight with supplemental light and controls. Our designers work closely with owners and architectural teams to optimize lighting for energy-effective designs of the highest excellence.
The associate will manage the work of 1 or more team members, is an experienced project manager, is involved in relevant (local) office decisions, and is seen as a leader in their respective office. The position will be the base of leadership from which HLB will sustain and grow - 80% manager, 20% leader.
Achieving Results – Project Responsibilities
- Responsible for full delivery of a project from start to finish with team / ownership of all associated tasks.
- Manages the team to produce work efficiently and profitably
- Manages agendas, meeting minutes, and regular project status communications
- Assumes responsibility for monthly invoicing and timely response to fee drafts and assist in collections issues and help resolve any related issues
- Participate in negotiations for additional services / scope modifications.
- Develops technical skills appropriate to area of expertise and continually improves skills and knowledge through supplemental education, seminars, etc.
- Requires minimal supervision from Principals
- Reviewing RFP (Request for Proposal) and RFQ (Request for Qualification) documents and preparing response packages including drafts of fee proposals, business bios
- Creating labor hour budgets for projects relative to work they have managed
- Works with principals on project load and billings projections.
- May assist in developing expertise related to a specialized studio in a specific lighting project type or application (i.e. Practice Leader Group – PLG)
Working with Clients – Client Responsibilities
- Develops good client and/or related business relationships resulting in client satisfaction and binds HLB to that client
- Promotes the firm through repeat business and their individual Principal Marketing Plan – PMP or Personal Success Plan - PSP
- Enhance HLB’s value to the client and promote the firm
- Ability to trouble-shoot problems associated with the project team and participate in implementing well thought solutions
- Develops communication tools to manage client expectations
- Pursue existing and new clients through Principal Marketing Plan – PMP or Personal Success Plan - PSP
- Involvement in marketing presentations
- Represent the firm to client, peer organizations, and business associates
Working with Teammates and Managers – Management Responsibilities
- Manage and Mentor team effectively – delegation skills
- Manages their work in addition to their teams’ – prioritizes critical path items for multiple projects or team members
- Implement good judgment and leadership within the project team to support the firm’s business model.
- Has a good framework for resolving issues and understands the stages of identifying the problem and enlisting others when necessary and implements the solution well with regards to internal teamwork.
- Participate in office-wide discussions and decisions regarding staffing, profitability, performances with the principals in respective office.
- Recognize your work serves as a role model for others and mentor those professional skills appropriately
- Interfaces among the principals, design/technical staff and business team as needed.
- Assists in office-wide coordination of resources and staff
- Serves in a quality assurance role with their team members and the firm and shares best practices
HLB’s Corporate Culture and Values – Responsibilities to HLB initiatives
- Takes initiative to improve methods of work, procedures and environment that are in the best interest of the firm.
- Active participation in recruiting and retaining efforts
- Represents the firm in a professional manner
- Participation in Designing Our Future (DOF) initiatives and supporting HLB’s culture
- Reinforce HLB values – Artistry, Curiosity, Balance, Integrity, Legacy
- Looks for opportunities to collaborate with other HLB offices on project, Designing Our Future, business workgroup avenues in a meaningful way.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Horton Lees Brogden Lighting Design takes affirmative action in support of its policy to and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities