This is your opportunity to join Woodland Park Zoo as a Grounds Laborer with the Facilities Team! There is one full-time, regular, benefitted position to be filled at this time.
Performs routine manual work in a variety of indoor and outdoor work areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide manual assistance to other workers and use various types of hand and small power tools such as hammer, saws, axes, drills, seedeaters, backpack blowers, shovels and scythes.
- Perform minor adjustments and repairs to various types of hand and small power equipment.
- Set out flares, traffic control devices and provides work site protection, as directed.
- Manually dig trenches, fence post holes, and other holes using hand tools; clean ditches, sewers and storm drains.
- Load and unload materials, equipment, and supplies.
- Drive pickup trucks, sedans, and other small motorized vehicles in connection with manual work activities.
- Perform minor repairs or adjustments, lubrication and safety checks on trucks and trailers.
- Assist in set-ups, room arrangements, and office relocations such as in the set up and removal of chairs, risers, portable turnstiles, and flooring.
- Operate hand held scrubbers and polishers; sweep floors and wash windows.
- Pick up trash, sweep floors, dust, wash, disinfect, vacuum, and perform other tasks to keep areas clean.
- Perform routine custodial work on a comfort station route without a lead worker.
- Perform indoor and/or outdoor litter control and cleaning tasks.
- Assist in the installation, repair, and maintenance of chain link fences, backstops, benches, signs and bleachers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as to work and collaborate as a team member.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, and may include evenings and holidays.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institutions’ Core Values.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Valid United States driver’s license required.
Must have basic computer skills to access email and submit online timesheet.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment varies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position requires an ability to walk or transit across the 92-acre facility in variable weather conditions and enter non-public behind the scenes staff areas. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; talk or hear and taste or smell.
APPLICATION DIRECTIONS: Applications are only accepted online through our Jobs Page (zoo.org/jobs). No other forms of application will be accepted. Resume is required.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.