Definition and Purpose
Under the supervision of the Coordinator — Public Relations, Communications, and Marketing, the Marketing Student Assistant addresses the needs of the Public Relations, Communications, and Marketing Department for ASI Recreational Sports and ASI Poly Escapes in researching, implementing, and developing guidelines and procedures for marketing and communications of the ASI brand and events. This highly motivated and creative individual is responsible for the production and distribution of promotional materials and graphics requests, gathering content and administering ASI’s social media marketing strategy, developing strategies to increase participation in sponsored activities and programs, and representing the ASI brand across ASI social media platforms and at events as needed.
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our employees are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally, they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Educational Requirements and Qualifying Experience
• Must be a currently enrolled student at Cal Poly with a minimum of 6 units. All ASI student staff must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at Cal Poly. Graduate students must carry 4 units/3.0 cumulative GPA at Cal Poly.
• Must be available to work summer and fall quarters; full-time availability during summer preferred
• Marketing, journalism, or public relations major preferred
• Must be highly organized and have great time management and planning skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Photography skills preferred
• Demonstrated experience in social and digital media
• Experience with marketing, advertising, communications, public relations, or customer service
• Experience with administration, supervision, leadership, or management
• Experience with ASI program participation preferred
• General knowledge of program services
• Ability to work with diverse populations and those with special limitations or needs
• Positive attitude, detail and customer-oriented with excellent multitasking abilities
• Supervise program participants and volunteers on occasion
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist with ensuring that ASI Recreational Sports, ASI Poly Escapes, and Cal Poly Recreation Center identity standards, professionalism, and consistency are maintained and met through production of collateral material, display cases, promotional material, and marketing information
• Assist with the development, implementation, and revisions of the ASI Marketing/Communication Plan
• Generate creative, original content and assist with management of ASI’s social media marketing strategy across all ASI Recreational Sports, ASI Poly Escapes, and Cal Poly Recreation Center platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, Snap Chat
• Create and disseminate digital content, including but not limited to the ASI guide in the Cal Poly Now app, e-newsletters, press releases, and presentations for ASI Recreational Sports, ASI Poly Escapes, and Cal Poly Recreation Center programs and services
• Coordinate and/or assist with program area assessment efforts
• Gather and organize content for graphic requests
• Distribute final digital assets to appropriate areas for posting
• Post and deliver marketing materials; distribute materials to ASI Programs and other campus organizations
• Set-up promotional displays
• Work as ASI representative at events when available
• Maintain a positive and upbeat attitude in order to provide excellent customer service
• Provide quality customer service for all staff and customers
• Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
• Maintain a positive relationship with staff and co-workers
• Assist in the coordination of special projects, including but not limited to sponsorships, scheduling, contracts, etc.
• Assist in the coordination of public relations and marketing for ASI Recreational Sports, ASI Poly Escapes, and Cal Poly Recreation Center programs and services
• Develop and implement creative and original marketing strategies and tactics
• Assist in planning special promotions or events
• Act as liaison and outreach facilitator between campus groups/clubs/residence halls, promotional agencies and ASI Recreational Sports, ASI Poly Escapes, and Cal Poly Recreation Center programs
• Collaborate with other program areas
• Assist and when necessary, coordinate photographers and participants during promotional photoshoots
• Collaborate with ASI graphic designers, photographers, and videographers on marketing campaigns and collateral material
• Research, identify, and apply new strategies or tools for marketing, outreach, and communication efforts
• Assist in determining the needs of the Cal Poly campus community through surveys, focus groups, etc.
• Hold regularly scheduled office hours
• Attend all mandatory meetings, workshops, and retreats
• Maintain prompt hours and follow absence procedures
• Act as a program ambassador at all times with extensive program knowledge
• Adhere to and enforce all ASI departmental policies and procedures
• Ensure a safe environment for all participants
• Maintain familiarity with evacuation plan for work area
• Other duties as assigned
Period of Employment
Employment with this organization is of an "at will" nature, which means that the employee may resign at any time and ASI may discharge the employee at any time with or without cause.
This position is subject to a background check (including criminal records) as well as National Address Locater (Social Security Number [SSN] Trace), 7 year County Criminal Search in each county and/or state the applicant lived in based on the SSN Trace, National Criminal Database Search, Name Search, Employment Verification (All employers in past 7 years) and Education Verification (Highest Degree). Credit Reports, Motor Vehicle Record Check and Professional License Verification may also be required based upon the essential functions of the position.
Compensation and Hours
Pay Rate: $12.00 per hour; maximum 20 hours per week while enrolled in classes. 15-20 hours are preferred.
Date of Last Equity Review: May 2019
The Associated Students, Inc. is committed to equal access to employment, facilities and programs regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity and gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), medical condition, genetic information, age, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Associated Students, Inc. is an equal opportunity Title VII employer.