Title: Sales Assistant
FLSA: Non - Exempt
Status: Full Time (40 hours/week)
Reports To: Sr. Director Convention Sales
What You’ll Accomplish:
Support the organization’s sales goals by directly assisting three sales managers to bring convention visitors to Columbus. You will assist the managers as they prospect and bring in potential clients to visit Columbus and what we can offer to their convention experience. You will work within a team of other sales support staff to assisting the convention sales department with special projects. Being a collaborative work environment, you will also work on projects and gather information through partnering or interacting with Experience Columbus or Sports Commission team members, community businesses, current and potential clients.
By joining Experience Columbus, you are part of a group working to enhance the quality of life for our community. We support the travel and tourism industry in providing jobs, bringing in tax dollars for improvement of services and infrastructure, and attracting facilities like restaurants, shops, festivals, and cultural and sporting venues that cater to both visitors and Columbus locals.
Key responsibilities include:
Finalize and distribute convention sales leads and all forms related to processing pending and definite business:
- Record and manage all forms necessary for bid process including creating bid books.
- Contact member partners to follow-up on lead responses and verifications.
- Customize and format bid book pages.
- Order and ship client gifts.
Assist with all pre and post activities related to a client site inspection or FAM
- Compile and distribute agenda
- Book client airfare, lodging and meal reservations.
- Compile and deliver client amenity to hotel
- Coordinate or assist in airport pick-up and drop-offs, (if using personal vehicle, then mileage will be reimbursed)
Assist with all pre and post activities related to sales trips and trade shows:
- Ship requested goods from the office.
- Compile all the contacts’ information, notes and organizing correspondence post- show.
- Assist managers with onsite support at the event, if needed.
Maintain accurate data in Customer Relational Database (CRM):
- Update projection sheets to reflect manager’s definite business and tentative bookings.
- Input sales related activities.
- Create leads as needed
Process reports for managers regarding bookings and accounts
- Conduct research on account lists.
- Maintain member contact records.
- Assist with the entry of Economic Impact calculations and related documents.
- Communicate directly with clients and members regarding database information.
Maintain accurate data in industry database (MINT):
- Ensure correct reporting to MINT monthly.
- Conduct research and access MINT reports to compile information for leads.
- Sync data between CRM and MINT.
Team support and administrative tasks:
- Submit managers expense reports.
- Coordinate mass mailings.
- Coordinate sales manager schedules for in-house meetings and client meetings.
- Process expense reports or payment requests and registrations for sales managers.
- Manage inventory and re-stock promotional materials.
- Assistance with projects or reports, phone coverage or training.
- Run errands for client gifts and event supplies. Personal costs are covered including, mileage, Uber/Lyft, spin, etc.
- Attend client and Experience Columbus functions as requested. These events occasionally occur in the evening and rarely over the weekend.
The ideal candidate for this role has strong written and verbal communications skills, with high levels or professionalism and a customer service focus. Daily interactions may be in person, on the phone, email or communication through documents. To be considered you must be self-motivated and have a team player attitude, able to work well with sales managers, external clients, vendors, hotel partners and team members. You demonstrate an exceptional attention to detail and commitment to representing the organization in the best way.
You can work both independently and with a team. You have exceptional organizational skills with the ability to successfully multi-task with information from multiple sources and ability to reprioritize daily based on the sales manager’s priorities to meet deadlines. You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment during events.
Having a passion for Columbus and an excitement to share that passion with potential visitors is a must! As is having abundant and continuing knowledge of Greater Columbus, its attractions, events and activities. Don’t worry, we will help provide you that information through training as you become a Certified Tourism Ambassador™ (CTA).
Specific qualifications and requirements include:
- A 2 or 4-year degree in business, hospitality, or skills gained from equivalent work experience
- Proficient working in Microsoft Office programs and Adobe Acrobat.
- Experience in hospitality industry preferred
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This includes:
- Viewing computer monitors
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to be standing or on your feet for extended periods of time during events.
- Ability to work in an office environment with moderate noise.
Experience Columbus' vision is to be the leading force in creating and revealing the best of the Columbus experience to the world. Experience Columbus' mission is to sell, market and promote the Destination Columbus experience to visitors.
Experience Columbus employs approximately 70 people working in convention sales, tourism sales, convention services, partnership and development, marketing, communications, events, public relations and administration. In June 2002, Experience Columbus created the Greater Columbus Sports Commission to attract professional, collegiate, amateur and youth sports events to Greater Columbus.
Our core values: Collaborative, Passionate, Strategic, Integrity, Motivated
Experience Columbus is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining an active nondiscriminatory work environment. Experience Columbus does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, age (40 and older), sex, gender identity or expression, familial status, veteran status, military status, genetic information, disability or any other factor protected by applicable law.
What you will Experience with Us
- A focus on your Career Growth
- Support continuing education opportunities in the industry and your field so you have the knowledge and skills to keep moving forward and get the most out of your career.
- Company-wide recognition and rewards
- An open-door policy with every employee, including the CEO.
- Interesting projects and ability to be involved with Columbus brands, attractions and activities
- Opportunities to collaborate with civic leaders and business groups to promote Columbus.
- Team building events and celebrations through our Employee Appreciation Team
- A focus on your personal quality of life
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family unit
- Company paid short and long-term disability coverage and life insurance
- 401(k) plan – with generous employer match
- Accommodating office environment – with option for a standing desk
- Work in the heart of the Arena District – with walkable access to downtown restaurants and attractions, including the Scioto Mile walking/bike path
- Flexible work schedules and generous PTO time off and holidays off
- Wellness incentives and activities – including free monthly 1:1 coaching sessions through AccellWell
- Commitment to the environment through our Green Committee efforts and activities (recognized as a Columbus GreenSpot)
- Free monthly covered parking or reimbursement for Public Transportation or alternative private transpiration to the office (Lyft, Uber, Bird etc.)
- Dry cleaning onsite drop off/pick up
- Employee discount on select merchandise in the visitor center shops
- Access to complimentary coffee and beverages