This is your opportunity to join the dynamic Zoo Operations team at Woodland Park Zoo. Applications are now being accepted for Maintenance Laborer in the General Maintenance department. There is/are one/multiple full/part-time, temporary, non-benefited positions to be filled at this time.
This position leads and/or performs semi-skilled and/or skilled work maintaining and performing minor repairs on facilities and turf.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Mows, edges, and maintains lawns using riding lawn mowers, assigned tractors, edgers, and sweepers.
- Assists a variety of skilled-trade personnel in coordinating and performing skilled work; will also assist in the maintenance, repair and construction of buildings and other facilities, and in preparing walks and streets for asphalt and concrete paving operations.
- May oversee the work of subordinate employees by planning, training, assisting, monitoring and evaluating the work.
- May plan or assist in planning for materials, equipment, and staffing required for work assignments or areas.
- May lead and/or perform office relocations and delivery, storage and disposition of materials, forms, furniture and equipment. Performs other building services work including motor-pool operations, and event set-ups, change-overs and support.
- Provides regular and ongoing care, preparation, and maintenance for medium- to large-sized parks (over 20 acres) containing several distinct outdoor recreational features (i.e. ball fields, fountains, picnic grounds, play areas, wading pools, etc.).
- Aides and participates in the opening, backfilling, and shoring of trenches and other excavations.
- Assists with the preventative maintenance and repair of roofs and drainage systems.
- Maintains and performs minor repairs to wooden and metal playground equipment, picnic tables, bleachers, and other outdoor recreation facilities.
- Maintains routine records and reports.
- Drives pickup trucks and other vehicles or equipment in connection with work activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as to work and collaborate as a team member.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, and may include evenings and holidays.
- Ability to drive safely to various locations both on and off grounds.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institutions’ Core Values.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
- Valid United States driver’s license required, commercial driver’s license preferred
- Other pertinent licenses may be required
Must have basic computer skills to access email and submit online timesheet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; talk or hear and taste or smell.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment varies.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.