What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
As the Senior Talent Engagement Advisor, you will manage employee relations issues with your assigned customer groups by building trusted partnerships, partnering with the Talent Engagement Manager on complex issues. You will provide consultation and support to employees, managers, and leaders within your assigned groups to ensure best practices are being applied to employment matters. In addition to providing talent engagement support, you will develop, manage, and implement process management for broader initiatives and programs such as performance management, compensation reviews, promotional cycles and helping to assess institutional training needs.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 5 years of relevant experience; 8 years preferred
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI's overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion. Moderate travel (~10%)
- You will be subject to a background check.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience handling employee relations with a high level of customer service escalating only complex matters
- Established ability to quickly shift focus
- Proven capacity to discretely handle sensitive information
- Demonstrated experience partnering with customers to develop HR solutions
- Demonstrated track record of successfully supporting employees with HR related issues
- Ability to handle high stress situations with grace and composure
- Previous success managing processes and projects
- Exhibited intermediate level proficiency with Excel - must be comfortable with Pivot Tables, Vlookups and creating formulas
Job Function Breakdown:
50% - Employee relations - Partners with managers and employees to provide guidance on policies and practices that align with the SEI's values and goals. This includes working with leadership to ensure adherence with laws and policy, working with managers to work through performance issues, managing employee changes from beginning through completion, and working with campus to provide solutions and recommendations on job descriptions, job changes and employment arrangements. Work with campus partners and manager on complex talent engagement matters.
30% - Process Management and Improvement - With strategic leadership from the Talent Engagement Manager, be the subject matter expert for the performance management process and systems for the SEI, manage data for compensation reviews, and administer applications for promotional cycles. In partnership with other advisors, manage onboarding, off-boarding, and employee transactions for assigned divisions, conducting periodic evaluations to look for improvement opportunities.
15% - Project Management - Manage ad hoc projects related to training opportunities, systems, and employee relations.
5% - Other duties as assigned.
Please visit 'Why Carnegie Mellon' to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.