Definition and Purpose
The Poly Escapes Frontline Services Student Assistant is responsible for monitoring the reception area and performing customer service functions. The Poly Escapes Frontline Services Student Assistant handles a high volume of diverse requests and is expected to be a resource to all customers. The emphasis of this position is providing outstanding and courteous service and ensuring customer satisfaction.
The Poly Escapes Student Office Assistant is responsible for providing clerical assistance and performing internal customer service functions.
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our employees are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Educational Requirements and Qualifying Experience
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Cal Poly with a minimum of 6 units. All ASI student staff must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at Cal Poly. Graduate students must carry 4 units/3.0 cumulative GPA at Cal Poly.
- Ability to be highly organized and have good planning skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Previous general office or clerical experience preferred
- Reliable, self-motivated and works well with minimum supervision
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Awareness of safety concerns and risk management
- Experience working with high volume, fast-paced environment
- Previous customer service experience preferred
- Knowledge of Windows based computer systems required (Microsoft Office); strong Excel skills required for Student Office Assistant positions
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Experience in cash handling and basic accounting functions
- Ability to make routine decisions based on specific criteria/guidelines
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change
- Ability to have a high level of attention to detail
- Ability to work cooperatively with others or independently, as the situation requires
- Ability to work with diverse populations and those with special limitations or needs
- First Aid, CPR and AED Certification required
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist customers via the telephone and in person with issues related to all aspects of ASI programs and services
- Maintain a welcoming environment for all visitors and staff members
- Handle confidential information according to ASI policies and procedures
- Provide quality customer service to all staff members and customers
- Provide positive public relations, program promotion and policy education to staff and customers
- Keep accurate records and ensure accurate data entry
- Adhere to ASI departmental policies and procedures
- General office assistance (word processing, filing, mailing, copying)
- As required, position will ensure that financial paperwork submitted includes the information necessary for processing
- Applicable computer program knowledge for work area
- As requested, will assist with supply ordering
- Maintain knowledge of all current activities and upcoming events within ASI
- Maintain prompt hours and follow attendance procedures
- Attend all mandatory meetings, workshops, and retreats
- Keep work areas neat and organized
- Assist with special projects
- Maintain familiarity with evacuation plan for work area
- Other duties as assigned
Specialized Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the function and operation of the reception area
- Open and close work area and follow procedures with documentation.
- Assist with all cash handling functions
- Review daily communications and information in Communications Log
- Sort and distribute office mail
- Explain related policies and procedures to customers
- Responsible for the daily function and operation of the Poly Escapes Rental Program
- Responsible for gear specific inventory as it relates to the Poly Escapes Rental Program
- Sign students and participants up for quarterly outdoor education trips
- Properly fit a variety of outdoor equipment to the use, such as backpacks and wetsuits
- Lift approximately 50lbs
- Complete rental refund forms as needed
- Assist in the trip cancellation policy by filling out forms and notifying trip leaders of participant changes
- Monitor Climbing Park access by using HandKey Gate Access System, renting equipment and ensuring its return, and checking eligibility to climbing and/or belay
- Answer any area-specific information about outdoor recreation areas close by.
- Able to repair and maintain a variety of gear
- Assist Student Manager and Coordinator, Outdoor Programs in restocking and repairing inventory
- Understand policies and procedures relating to trip and rental cancellations
- Utilizing CommLogs to communicate with co-workers
Period of Employment
Employment with this organization is of an "at will" nature, which means that the employee may resign at any time and ASI may discharge the employee at any time with or without cause.
This position is subject to a background check (including criminal records) as well as National Address Locater (Social Security Number [SSN] Trace), 7 year County Criminal Search in each county and/or state the applicant lived in based on the SSN Trace, National Criminal Database Search, Name Search, Employment Verification (All employers in past 7 years) and Education Verification (Highest Degree). Credit Reports, Motor Vehicle Record Check and Professional License Verification may also be required based upon the essential functions of the position.
Compensation and Hours
Pay Rate: $12.00 per hour; maximum 20 hours per week.
Date revised: 1/1/2019
The Associated Students, Inc. is committed to equal access to employment, facilities and programs regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity and gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), medical condition, genetic information, age, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. Associated Students, Inc. is an equal opportunity Title VII employer.
This position may require sitting, standing, walking, bending over, reaching overhead, and lifting or carrying up to 25 pounds.
Environmental factors include working inside, dry, working with others, working around others and working alone.