Accounting Student Assistant (Business Services)
Definition and Purpose
Under the direct supervision of the –Accounting Technician II (Accounts Payable and Fixed Assets), the Accounting Student Assistant provides clerical and technical support to the Accounting Services staff. The Accounting Student Assistant provides support in the accounting areas of accounts payable, cash handling, internal audits, and general accounting services.
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our employees are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally, they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Educational Requirements and Qualifying Experience
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Cal Poly with a minimum of 6 units. All ASI student staff must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at Cal Poly. Graduate students must carry 4 units/3.0 cumulative GPA at Cal Poly.
- Ability to prioritize and manage several projects concurrently.
- Capable of working and progressing on projects in an independent and self-directed manner.
- Ability to be highly organized and have good planning skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with diverse populations and those with special limitations or needs.
- Knowledge of windows-based computer programs (Microsoft Office).
- Familiarity with fundamentals of accounting.
- Ability to type accurately.
- Thorough editing skills.
- Thorough analytical and problem solving skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and distribute purchase orders.
- Assist Accounting Technician II (Accounts Payable and Fixed Assets) with vendor invoice processing and related tasks.
- Collect daily cash and checks from all program areas and prepare daily deposits.
- Prepare deposit reports and cash receipts records.
- Audit petty cash and change funds each quarter with Accounting Technician I.
- Identify and report variances and potential internal control problems to Assistant Coordinator – Accounting.
- Audit fixed asset sub-sets as assigned and assist during annual fixed asset physical inventory.
- Audit resale counts and inventory carrying values.
- Reconcile accounts as assigned.
- Assist Coordinator – Accounting with the month-end process and annual closing of the books.
- Enter utilities data for costs and usage charts.
- Participate and assist with external audits as necessary.
- Maintain an accurate filing system for accounting records and retrieve financial information as requested.
- Provide assistance to the Accounting Technician II (Accounts Receivable and Point of Sales) in the reconciliation of accounts receivable sales and preparation of invoice requests.
- Input telephone billing data into cost-distribution spreadsheet on a monthly basis.
- Assist the Assistant Coordinator - Accounting with the annual updating of ASI Signature Cards and ongoing maintenance of the ASI Signature Card file.
- Assist with fixed asset management, including physical inventory, tagging new assets, and researching related information.
- Assist with the yearly transfer of records to on and off-site storage facilities.
- Provide back-up to the Accounting Technician I for maintenance of bad checks and uncashed checks (letters/holds/District Attorney program).
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in ASI policy as a condition of their employment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Period of Employment
Employment with this organization is of an "at will" nature, which means that the employee may resign at any time and ASI may discharge the employee at any time with or without cause.
Compensation and Hours
Pay Rate: $12.00 per hour; maximum 20 hours per week.
The Associated Students, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Date revised: 4/22/19