What We Do: The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
Position Summary: A student intern to write code and develop new enterprise continuous monitoring information system integrations in support of IETF standards development. XMPP-Grid is based on using XMPP and its ability to build federations to scale the collection of enterprise security configuration and observation data. The development will inform the correct set of XEP (XMPP extensions) action commands to develop along with the universal subset of data items for standardization. CERT has developed a number of open source network monitoring tools which develop network flow (IPFIX) records. The goal of this work will be to work cross-organizationally to support the inclusion of IPFIX observations with OVAL configuration checks and a more comprehensive query capability. The code developed as part of this project is intended to be useful for enterprise monitoring systems and distributed by open source licensing.
- Enrolled in a degree granting program.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI's overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community.
- You will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to work in the United States without Visa sponsorship.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have strong organizational, analytical, reasoning, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Strong coding and software analysis skills
- Familiarity with C, Python, and Java programming languages along with their associated build systems. Working knowledge of XML and XMPP are helpful.
Job Function Breakdown:
60% Software development
20% Lab and test development
20% Presenting and representing SEI
TOTAL = 100%
Please visit 'Why Carnegie Mellon' to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.