What We Do: The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
Position Summary: A student intern to write code that will capture logging on MacOS (including syslog but also Apple’s newer log system). The system will be required to be able to receive messages from various Apple logging systems with the ability to define user-controlled filtering. The system must then be able to output into multiple output formats to include GELF, syslog, and as yet to be determined binary format. This code is intended to be part of a larger ecosystem of IT analysis and monitoring. The code is intended to be open sourced, but must be performed per SEI development procedures.
- Enrolled in a degree granting program.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community.
- You will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to work in the United States without Visa sponsorship.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have strong organizational, analytical, reasoning, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Strong coding and software analysis skills
- Excellent communications skills.
- Have a familiarity with appropriate programming languages for Mac OS (Swift, Objective C, etc.).
- Secure coding development and analysis
Job Function Breakdown:
60% Software development
20% Lab and test development
20% Presenting and representing SEI
TOTAL = 100%
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.