• Work with team and independently to develop creative ways to communicate with members and non-members, particularly using new media skills including but not limited to FB, Twitter, effective email, text messaging and other social media;
• Create communications strategies, budgets, messaging documents and timelines;
• Conceptualize, shoot and edit video projects for quick use in social media, or slightly longer for presentations;
• Write, edit and produce direct mail, flyers, brochures and other traditional literature;
• Write, edit and distribute press releases, letters to the editor and op-eds;
• Make outreach calls to reporters and cultivate relationships with media;
• Train workers and staff to be effective spokespeople and story-tellers;
• Write, edit and produce paid media (online, print, radio, etc.);
• Help create and maintain websites;
• Create effective messaging and concepts for signage and promotional materials.
• Excellent ability to work closely with a team, accommodate requests from team members, and assimilate input from multiple sources;
• Experience with social media;
• Excellent inter-personal skills, an enthusiastic attitude and a commitment to contribute to a positive work environment;
• An ability and commitment to modeling pro-active leadership behavior and skills;
• The ability, experience, energy and enthusiasm to take responsibility for whole communications campaigns and pro-actively see each component through to a successful conclusion;
• Deep commitment to the labor movement and progressive causes;
• Excellent visual, written and verbal communications skills.
• BA or higher;
• At least 2 years experience working in communications for progressive political campaigns, non-profit organization or union;
• Proficiency in MS Office programs and design programs such as InDesign and Photoshop,
• Experience shooting and editing video and taking good quality photos;
• Must thrive in an environment with tight deadlines; changing priorities, high-pressure and irregular hours;
• Written placement test required of all applicants.
SEIU-UHW offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefit package.