Title: HR GENERALIST
Reports To: DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Location: CENTRAL SUPPORT OFFICE – PARK CITY, UTAH
Direct Reports: N/A
The HR Generalist performs duties at the professional level and works closely with HR senior management in effecting the strategic goals of the HR department and supporting designated Natural Retreats destinations. This position carries out responsibilities in the following function areas: employee relations, recruiting, training, performance management, onboarding, and policy implementation. This position requires an extremely perceptive person who can relate to individuals at all levels of the organization. The HR Generalist will be an ambassador of the Natural Retreats company values and culture, taking care to balance the needs of the Company and its Team Members.
Since the other members of the HR Team are in the NR Charlottesville office, the individual in this role must be highly autonomous and self-motivated with a proven ability to work remotely and independently.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems
- Administers various human resource plans and procedures for all Team Members in the organization; assists in the development and implementation of policies and procedures; helps maintain the NR handbook by staying abreast of legislative changes to federal, state and local employment laws which impact existing NR policies or systems
- Assists in evaluation of reports, decisions and results of department in relation to established goals; recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to continually improve efficiency of the department and services provided
- Participates in team meetings; coordinates and attends meetings with internal and external stakeholders related to HR team goals and projects
- Partners with General Managers and mid-level managers located in NR destinations and central offices to provide strategic support related to employee relations, coaching, corrective action, performance management, etc. across assigned locations
- Coaches, counsels and guides managers on the corrective action process when handling Team Member performance issues or concerns
- Participates in and conducts corrective action counseling and exit interviews
- Manages and tracks Team Member corrective action and maintains Team Member files with relevant information and related forms
- Manages recruitment efforts for exempt and nonexempt positions, both regular and seasonal; writes and places advertisements for open positions in relevant mediums including online job boards, social media accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.); conducts New Hire Orientation sessions
- Works directly with hiring managers to develop or update job descriptions, including identifying skill requirements, experience, and competencies
- Compile salary data as needed to establish appropriate range of pay for a given role in a specific location; make salary recommendations which balance the need for competitive wages with the department’s current budget
- Draft and deliver offer letters to candidates selected for employment; initiate new hire paperwork process
- In conjunction with the HR Director, develop and deliver training sessions related to important business and/or Team Member development needs (e.g. Respectful Workplace Training, Corrective Action Process, Recruiting 101, Giving and Receiving Feedback, etc.); training mediums may include in-person, webinars, recorded sessions, etc.
- Works closely with Payroll Specialist to ensure payroll policies and procedures are communicated and enforced for all Team Members and managers
- Assists with benefits administration, including communicating benefits information to employees, change reporting, and providing back-up for the Benefits Administrator
- Maintains human resource information system records, including Team Member personnel information, and compiles reports from the database
- Provides high level of customer service by answering manager and employee requests and questions
- Assists HR Director with various research projects and/or special projects
- Maintains and processes applicable Unemployment Notices and potential charges in a timely, efficient manner; attends unemployment hearings when necessary
- Ensures assigned destinations are complying with NR workers’ compensation processes and policies; reports, maintains and monitors workers’ compensation case files; follows-up on open cases
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Contributes to the continuous development of the HR function and team welfare to ensure a great working environment and culture
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as laptop computers, photocopiers, and smartphones.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The Team Member frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands/ fingers to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time position. Natural Retreats’ core business hours for our support offices are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Occasionally, project work or other responsibilities may require the Team Member to work outside of this schedule.
Minimal travel expectations (<25%)
Natural Retreats is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, religious creed, physical disability, mental disability, age, medical condition (cancer), AIDS/HIV, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Our management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, Team Member activities and general treatment during employment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Team Member for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of relevant work experience, specifically 2+ years of Employee Relations and Recruiting
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills needed to interact with a variety of Team Members and varying levels of management
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Microsoft Excel
- Highly autonomous and self-motivated
- Availability to travel regularly to locations in the west region, as well as to the Central Support Office in Charlottesville, VA
- Experience in the hospitality industry and/or with start-up environments a plus
- Familiarity with HR Information Systems (e.g. Applicant Tracking Systems, HR Databases, report writing, etc.; previous experience accessing, inputting, and compiling data
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at once
- Previous experience developing and/or delivering training sessions across all levels of an organization
COMMUNICATION AND INFLUENCE
- Attention to Communication: The ability to ensure that information is passed on to others who should be kept informed
- Oral Communication: The ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others
- Written Communication: The ability to express oneself clearly in business writing
- Persuasive Communication: The ability to plan and deliver oral and written communications that make an impact and persuade their intended audiences
The ability to notice, interpret, and anticipate others’ concerns and feelings, and to communicate this awareness empathetically to others
The ability to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, projects and solutions
Building Collaborative Relationships
The ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support
The ability to demonstrate concern for satisfying one’s external and internal customers
Diagnostic Information Gathering
The ability to identify the information needed to clarify a situation, seek that information from appropriate sources, and use skillful questioning to draw out the information, when others are reluctant to disclose it
The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic, sequential approach
The ability to anticipate the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action to be prepared for possible contingencies
Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it
The ability to develop, sponsor, or support the introduction of new and improved method, products, procedures, or technologies
The ability to focus on the desired result of one’s own or one’s unit’s work, setting challenging goals, focusing effort on the goals, and meeting or exceeding them
Ensuring that one’s own and others’ work and information are complete and accurate; carefully preparing for meetings and presentations; following up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled
Faith in one’s own ideas and capability to be successful; willingness to take an independent position in the face of opposition
The ability to keep functioning effectively when under pressure and maintain self-control in the face of hostility or provocation
Demonstrated concern that one be perceived as responsible, reliable, and trustworthy
Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things