What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
Are you interested in contributing to an organization that is protecting the nation and changing the fields of software and cybersecurity? Come join our IT Unix Systems Team as a Linux Systems Administrator. You will focus on the operation and administration of systems hosting various Linux-based information services in a multi-platform environment. We are looking for an enthusiastic learner with experience operating and maintaining production Linux-based IT services, working knowledge of scripting languages and configuration management tools, and demonstrated participation in the entire critical IT service lifecycle. You understand IP networks, mail systems, basic script writing and maintenance skills (e.g. bash, Perl), and have a general administrative familiarity with open-source technologies (e.g. Sendmail, BIND, PostgreSQL, Apache).
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology with one year of experience or equivalent combination or training or experience
- Evening/weekend hours will be periodically required in order to perform service outside of normal operating hours. There is a rotating on-call component to this position – average call volume is very light, about 3-5 calls/week. This person will respond to outage events at the main facility in Pittsburgh, PA (Oakland) in a reasonable time (e.g. within ~30 minutes).
- Movement between buildings within the SEI and CMU community required.
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Capable of operating and administering Linux systems and their applications with little technical oversight based on documented operations practices.
- Shown skill in analyzing logging and other diagnostic output from multiple systems to resolve issues is huge plus.
- Temperament to serve as a second-tier escalation point helpdesk issues.
- Stellar verbal and written communication skills, as you will function as a liaison between customer groups, the helpdesk, and systems engineers
- Licenses: RHCE, RHCSA
- Experience with preparation of systems to conform to DISA STIG guidelines, executing Security Readiness Review (SRR) scripts, following DISA Security Checklists and resolving findings in preparation for IA review and accreditation.
- Experience automating log analysis and generating reports from analysis.
- Enterprise-level operation of collections of systems running Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
- Experience in a virtualized environment (e.g. VMware ESX). Understanding of Kerberos and interaction with Microsoft Active Directory.
- Experience with compiling, packaging and debugging software packages.
- Experience with firewalls, basic software building, advanced troubleshooting of multi-system applications and general software development skills in a Unix-based language such as Perl, Python, or Ruby.
- Experience with systems tools such as Red Hat Network Satellite, Puppet, Chef.
Job Function Breakdown:
40% Participates in the administration and operation of Linux services for the SEI. Drafts documents to describe the proper configuration/use of such services from an IT perspective when necessary. Regularly reviews logging and other output sources and takes actions based on operating conditions. Performs software updates and host servicing as necessary.
40% Functions as point for issues from first-line support that cannot be handled in that group due to skill or privilege restrictions.
10% Maintains and updates operational documentation
5% Packages software for use in the Linux infrastructure.
5% Training and professional development.
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.