|Disability Rights New York (DRNY), the Protection and Advocacy System for New York State, is seeking an experienced individual with a passion for achieving justice for individuals with disabilities. This is an opportunity to join a statewide organization advancing the civil rights and legal rights of people with disabilities. DRNY challenges systemic abuse, neglect, discrimination, and legal rights violations through legal case-handling, individual and systemic reform litigation, public investigations, advocacy, and collaboration with stakeholders. Justice for individuals with disabilities is DRNY's focus.
Communication & Marketing Internship
Disability Rights New York (DRNY) is seeking Communication and Marketing Interns. DRNY is a not for profit organization that provides free legal and advocacy services to individuals with disabilities across New York State. This is a fantastic opportunity to join our high-performing team and gain exposure to all aspects of Communications and Marketing. The successful Intern will be provided the opportunity to utilize their skills and experiences to help improve the lives of people with disabilities. DRNY will provide practical real world experiences through active participation, direct exposure and engagement in a variety of functions. Interns will work closely with the Communications and Marketing Team, as well as Executive staff members to craft DRNY’s statewide message.
Check us out on social media: DRNY YouTube Channel, DRNY Newsletter, DRNY Twitter, DRNY Facebook, DRNY Vimeo, DRNY Instagram, and DRNY Linked In.
The Communications & Marketing Intern will perform a wide range of duties, including the following:
- Update and improve consistency of current and outdated content;
- Assist with the development and execution of social media strategies
- Assist with the development and management of the DRNY website, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Write, proofread, and edit brochures, newsletters, and other documents;
- Write for a variety of audiences in different tones and voices;
- Interview individuals and attend meetings to obtain items for publication;
- Collaborate with internal departments on projects and assignments;
- Demonstrate interest in social media and how media and communication strategies can continuously engage the online community.
- Interest to assist in SM video content creation and act as a production assistant.
- Experience in marketing or communications, OR pursuing a degree in either marketing or communications;
- Ability to multi-task, manage multiple projects and balance competing priorities;
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and willingness to take initiative and be proactive;
- Comfortable working with different personalities, new people and subject matter experts;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft, Excel, and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign);
- Knowledge of social media, and personal experience with social media;
- Excellent communication and organizational skills with innate attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently on projects and also collaborate as a strong team member.
Work typically performed in an office environment or remotely - with the majority of time spent working on a computer. This position allows for candidates to work remotely. DRNY has three offices established in New York, located in : Albany, Brooklyn, & Rochester.
This is an unpaid internship, for-academic credit or experience. Full time or Part time experience working between the hours of 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Interested candidates please apply and include the following for consideration: cover letter, resume, and sample of social media work (can be video, blog, article, etc).
If you have any questions or need clarification, please email Director of Marketing & Communications, Katrin Haldeman at: Katrin.Haldeman@drny.org. Please include "Communication & Marketing Intern Inquiry" in the subject line of the email.