Job Title: Network Engineer
Reports to: Chief Information Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Grade: EX07
Supervisory Responsibility: No
Under the general direction of the Chief Information Officer, the network engineer position helps users achieve optimum use of their computer networks by performing needs analysis, procurement support, installation, training and problem resolution for the local and wide area networks. Responsible for configuration, operation, and administration of network server hardware, operating systems, and communications links. Defines and implements solutions to integrate desktop and shared devices into local and wide area networks and/or other host-based networks. Recommends appropriate computer tools to users including equipment software, documentation, and training. Incumbent has routine contact with information systems staff, all levels of employees as end users, and vendor representatives. Responsible for coordination of all activities regarding the organization's data networks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned by supervisor and/or Trustco Bank's Board of Directors.
- Analyzes users' needs. Recommends appropriate network configurations to meet users' needs and departmental standards.
- Implements and maintains bridges, routers, gateways, remote access servers, domain servers, security firewalls, application and device servers and Internet or Intranet devices and connections.
- Designs, configures, monitors and optimizes local and wide area networks and printers for optimal performance, maximum availability, minimal maintenance, and reasonable costs.
- Performs preventative and fault isolation maintenance on the local and wide area networks. Performs file maintenance on servers, domains, electronic post offices, and user files and/or data bases.
- Designs, configures, maintains and manages network security features for local and wide area networks. Configures, monitors, and maintains anti-virus programs to insure network and systems integrity. Adds and deletes users as required on network servers and applications.
- Performs customization and system administration for network management, task/project management, help desk, work group integration, documentation, and educational software packages on local and wide area networks.
- Works with telecommunications engineers to integrate voice, data and video applications on the local and wide area networks. Performs basic telephone maintenance as required.
- Analyzes, recommends, and evaluates new hardware, software, and communications products for network compatibility and applicability.
- Develops, maintains and updates a library of technical documentation.
- Performs advanced diagnostics and maintenance on desktop devices when additional expertise is required.
- Assumes contractual management responsibilities, assists in requests for proposals, vendor selection, and contract monitoring.
- Works with cross-functional teams in the design and implementation of information technology. Assists in the training of other information systems personnel to improve their technical skills.
- Assist departmental management with development of systems standards, short and long term goals, project management, and strategic directions.
- Keeps current on new developments and techniques in information technology.
- A bachelor's degree in computer engineering or equivalent level of education and experience.
- Excellent knowledge of IT systems and infrastructure.
- At least five years of work experience in all phases of computer operations.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Well organized with the ability to manage multiple tasks and work to time sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to work well independently and in groups.
- Working knowledge with Microsoft Office Programs; Excel and Word.
- Master's degree in computer engineering related field.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS:
This is a full-time position. Office hours Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Valid driver's license required, travel using personal vehicle. Occasional overnight travel as needed.
Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace; bilingual skills a plus. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business information, including but not limited to company policies and procedures. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers and customers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This is largely sedentary role, requiring use of typical office equipment such as a computer, laptop and phone.
- Ability to communicate both in person and/or by telephone.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
For the most part, ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional equipment as found in a typical office / retail environment.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PLAN/EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
Trustco Bank is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Trustco Bank to take affirmative action in affording equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Hiring, placement, upgrading, transfer, demotion or promotion
• Recruitment, advertising or solicitation for employment
• Treatment during employment
• Rates of pay or other forms of compensation
• Selection for training, including apprenticeship
• Layoff or termination
It is the policy of Trustco Bank to cooperate to the fullest extent with the applicable regulations of the Civil Rights Act and any legislation on Equal Employment Opportunity.