TITLE: Commercialization Intern
STATUS: Temporary full-time (1.00 FTE)
START DATE: August 2019
END DATE: February 2020 (6 month term)
PROGRAM: Bloorview Research Institute
SUPERVISOR: Angeli Mehta
Internship Opportunity at Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital, Bloorview Research Institute, within the Commercialization Department
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital creates a world of possibility by supporting children and youth living with disability, medical complexity, illness and injury. Holland Bloorview is a top 40 Canadian research hospital that is fully affiliated with the University of Toronto. Providing both inpatient and outpatient services and serving over 7,500 families annually, Holland Bloorview is renowned for its expertise in partnering with clients and families to provide exceptional care. The Bloorview Research Institute housed within Holland Bloorview Hospital is recognized in Canada and around the world for its unique client population and leadership in the field of childhood disability. The Research Institute brings together a multi-disciplinary team of scientists who work collaboratively with clinical staff, clients, and families to generate clinically-linked and applied pediatric rehabilitation research.
The Commercialization Office supports Bloorview Research Institute staff and trainees with the vision to unleash the potential of scientific research and technology to make the most meaningful and healthy futures for all children, youth and families.
This new internship opportunity will support a small and growing team in the Commercialization Office within the Bloorview Research Institute (BRI). The Commercialization Intern will report to the Commercialization Manger and will support the overall goals of the Commercialization department and the office's mission of creating sustainable impact that gets our transformative innovations directly to the people who need them. The intern will play an active and integral role performing market research for a range of projects, in industry partner evaluation and intake, project coordination and supporting IP management.
Overview of Accountabilities
The Intern's key accountabilities are as follows:
- Conducting market research, business analysis and/or background research for a range of projects
- Evaluation of industry partners
- Providing support for grant application opportunities as applicable to the Commercialization office
- Responsible for project coordination to support the activities of the Commercialization office which may include activities such as maintaining an electronic record database, coordinating industry tours, planning of innovation events, etc.
- Supporting secondary responsibilities for the office such as:
- Providing support for IP protection strategies
- Updating communication materials for the Commercialization office
- Supporting the identification of new opportunities
Qualifications and Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have graduated, within the last 3 years, ideally with a Masters or PhD in neuroscience or a related field
- Strong problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient in MS Office
- Candidates must not have been previously supported through the Ontario Brain Institute (OBI) internship program, as this internship is partially funded by OBI
- Candidates currently employed by HBKRH are not eligible
- Full-time, 6 month term, with the possibility of an extension