Karluk Wilderness Adventures (KWA) is hiring a Bear Guide in Kodiak, Alaska. This is an opening for the 2019 season.
This is your opportunity to work for Alaska’s premier bear viewing destination, the Kodiak Brown Bear Center, which offers a true Alaskan adventure and world class bear-viewing. The Kodiak Brown Bear Center is located on the southwest side of Kodiak Island in the heart of the Kodiak National Wildlife Refuge, and provides exclusive guided bear viewing tours at the famous Thumb and O’Malley Rivers on Karluk Lake.
The Lead Guide is responsible for providing the safe transport and supervision of all clients while conducting bear viewing and sport fishing operations at any of the designated locations and supporting facilities maintenance at KBBC. This position will report to and be under the direct supervision of the Director of Operations.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist the Director of Operations in the management, operational, logistical, expediting, and maintenance functions for, the Kodiak Brown Bear Center (KBBC) and its associated activities.
- Serve as “Lead Guide” for Bear Viewing.
- Provide instruction and training for all KBBC guides.
- Foster and retain positive relationships with key agencies and community partners.
- In partnership with the Director of Operations, establish and maintain high customer service expectations and operations.
- Implement operational strategy for the KBBC that meets Koniag’s objectives and reflects its core values.
- Provide supervision to assistant guide(s).
- Work with KBBC Director of Operations to maintain exemplary customer service experience.
- Responsible for client safety and their conduct while in the field bear viewing.
- Competent operation and maintenance of KBBC’s 30’ catamaran, its outboards and other onboard equipment.
- Responsible for the safety, operation and maintenance of all KBBC’s firearms and all bear viewing equipment.
- Proven ability to perform a variety of tasks involving physical labor as KBBC’s Lead Guide.
- Assist with keeping the KBBC campus area clean of debris and safe of hazards.
- Other duties as assigned by the KBBC Director of Operations.
Knowledge, Skills & Ability:
- Proven ability and experience applicant can demonstrate the safe handling, care, and discharge of firearms.
- Proven ability and experience applicant can safely operate/maintain KBBC’s 30’ catamaran.
- Proven ability and experience applicant can safely deploy, operate and recover KBBC’s kayaks.
- Ability to effectively implement and enforce KBBC’s bear viewing safety protocols with clients while in the field.
- Ability to safely guide people in a remote wilderness setting.
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate professionally with clients.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Kodiak Bears, including their history, behavior and eco-system in which they live.
- Comprehensive knowledge and of Kodiak’s history, maritime community and all its flora and fauna.
- Comprehensive knowledge and history of Kodiak’s Alutiiq people.
- Willing and able to learn and retain new skills.
- Willing and able to work as a team member and independently.
- Willing and able to read, interpret, and follow written & verbal instructions.
- Willing and able to travel and live for extended periods of time in a remote location.
- Willing and able to work for extended periods in all types of weather conditions.
- Willing and able to move weight-bearing materials and equipment on uneven terrain.
- Must have good eye-hand coordination, physical fitness, and a good sense of balance.
- Other duties as assigned by KBBC’s Director of Operations or designee.
- USCG OUPV Near Coastal 6-Pack License
- Current First Aid/CPR/AED Certification
- Must be able to work in a remote environment for extended periods.
- Required travel
Office Location and Travel:
The incumbent would report to the City of Kodiak and be responsible for his/her own travel costs to/from and living expenses while in the city of Kodiak. KWA will provide travel to and from Kodiak to Camp Island. While on Camp Island, lodging and food are provided by KWA. KWA maintains internet, phone, showers, power, cooking facilities and diesel heat at Camp Island.
Working Environment & Conditions
The work environment requires incumbent to be able and willing to work in all types of weather conditions and varied temperatures. Must be able to travel by small boats, airplanes and all-terrain vehicles. Work will be performed mostly outdoors and under a variety of settings, such as but not limited to, a lodge environment, loading dock, remote field and bear viewing platforms, leaving the incumbent exposed to the elements for long periods of time. Position requires incumbent to be able to stand or sit for extended periods of time on even and uneven terrain and uphold good vision and hearing. The incumbent must be able to lift, move and carry up to 50 pounds over uneven terrain, game trails and ground conditions. Noise level is moderate to high. Position requires that incumbent be able to use the five senses (sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch) and be able to distinguish colors.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The work load may require the incumbent to stand for extended periods of time. The incumbent must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.