- Sixty (60) semester hours of college;
- Corrections training certification from the Michigan Department of Corrections, Genesee County Sheriff’s or an accredited college; Certifiable;
- Three (3) years’ experience as a Corrections Officer in a jail facility;
- Two (2) years Active or Reserve Military experience
- Two (2) years of paid dispatch experience within a police or fire department or an EMS company.
- Must successfully complete written and physical agility tests;
- Must be willing to work weekends, holidays and irregular hours;
- No felony convictions, or a misdemeanor;
- Training in CPR and first aid is preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the legal systems as it relates to a County Jail system;
Ability to write acceptable reports;
Ability to make decisions under adverse conditions;
Ability to perform first aid;
Ability to follow written and oral instructions;
Ability to communicate with a diverse public;
Ability to make routine decisions in accordance with departmental policies and procedures;
Ability to subdue inmates who may be a physical threat;
Ability to provide backup within the jail in physical confrontations;
Ability to attend work regularly and work under stressful conditions.