What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
The SEI’s Tactical and AI-Enabled Systems (TAS) initiative researches state-of-the-art technologies and builds advanced prototypes using these technologies to support small units operating in difficult environments that are often disconnected from enterprise computing infrastructure. In addition, TAS researches and develops software engineering principles and practices that enable the deployment of AI/ML systems in operational environments.
We are seeking a Senior Machine Learning Research Scientist to conduct applied research, mature and prototype technologies, and transition technology to government organizations. This is an excellent opportunity to work with leading researchers and faculty at a truly world-class institution. You will co-author papers and research proposals, execute studies, and present findings to DoD sponsors and at academic conferences.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working with world-renowned researchers/engineers at the SEI, Carnegie Mellon University, and other universities and R&D centers.
If you are a Research Scientist passionate about improving the ability to deliver high quality, high-demand systems, and you are committed to researching new ideas to bring innovation to government, then this is the position for you.
- MS or higher in computer science, machine learning, statistics, or related discipline with eight (8) years of experience or equivalent combination of training or experience; OR PhD in computer science or related discipline with five (5) years of experience; PhD strongly preferred.
- Two or more (2+) years of experience in system/software architecture and development for data analytics, machine learning, or natural language processing.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion. (15% travel)
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expertise deploying systems that contain AI/ML components into operational environments (i.e., getting AI/ML models out of the lab and into real systems)
- Expertise implementing and applying machine learning techniques to different data sets
- Familiar with at least one deep learning framework (e.g., TensorFlow, Caffe)
- Familiar with at least one mathematical/statistical programming package (e.g., python numpy/scipy/pandas, R, MATLAB, etc.)
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in small teams with a variety of technical and organizational skills
- Superb communication skills (oral and written)
- Two (2) to five (5) years of industry or research lab experience
- Experience with specific methods listed above and/or evidence that you can learn
- Experience with image processing and video analysis is a plus
Job Function Breakdown:
30% - Collaboration – Work with CMU, SEI, other researchers, and the intelligence community to enhance the state of the art in technologies for video analysis
30% - Prototype Development – Work with CMU and SEI engineers to apply state of the art technologies to prototype systems that assist in the analysis of video
20% - Communication – Attend meetings, submit work progress reports, and perform related duties as required
20% - Project Work – Represent work plans and prototypes via publications, conferences, and meetings to the academic research, engineering, DoD, and first responder communities.
100% Total Effort
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.