What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
Individual will be responsible for supporting the SEI Manager of Security and Facility Security Officer II as the Facility Security Officer (FSO) and Contractor Special Security Officer (CSSO) of SEI Arlington facility clearances including compliance with the National Industrial Security Program Operations Manual (NISPOM) and Intelligence Community Directives (ICDs), enforcement of security policy and procedures, investigation and resolution of security incidents in a timely manner, and preparation of standard practices and procedures for security. Will represent the SEI with the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA) and other government agencies. Conduct self-inspections in accordance with government regulations. Conduct briefings on security matters including handling of classified government information, security awareness and refresher training and working in secure areas. Conduct liaison activities with federal, state and local law enforcement agencies and the intelligence community.
- Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, Intelligence or Business related field or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion.
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance with ICD 704 eligibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have initiative and ability to follow through on projects from initiation to completion.
- Must have the ability to be flexible with work schedule, this position requires the ability to respond on-call 24/7.
- This position also requires high attention to detail and ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills including the ability to write detailed reports concerning investigations and inspections and prepare standard operating procedures for security programs.
- Ability to work as part of a team to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Knowledge regarding operation of safes and locks and changing combinations.
- At least three years’ experience in a security-related environment.
- Basic experience in the industrial security field in support of Department of Defense (DoD) or Intelligence Community work.
- Applicant should be knowledgeable concerning the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM), DD-254 requirements, Common Access Cards (CACs), Security Systems including CCTV, Access Control and Alarm Systems.
- Knowledge concerning ID Badging Systems, and experience with the Security Information Management System (SIMS) software application.
- Documented experience with preparing intelligence and foreign travel briefings and reporting requirements for cleared personnel.
- The applicant should possess background in sensitive and classified document control, safes, locks and closed area management.
Job Function Breakdown:
60% - Compliance activities related to the Facility Security Officer and Special Security Officer functions including conducting self-inspections and presenting training sessions for SEI employees. Ensure and enforce compliance with government security requirements including Intelligence Community Directives (ICDs and NISPOM).
15% Handles building access, assists with obtaining necessary information /paperwork for security clearance requirements, closed area and other secure areas.
10% Internal and external peer liaison sharing best practices
5% Fulfill COMSEC Custodian requirements in accordance with customer requirements and conduct periodic audits/inspections to ensure accountability for all COMSEC equipment and material.
5% Monitors security status of facilities and systems and responds to security incidents. Prepares incident reports and follows through with the Security office in Pittsburgh to ensure all incidents are resolved.
5% Training and professional development to keep current with new technologies and government regulations. May involve periodic travel to the SEI office in Pittsburgh, PA.
100% Total Effort
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution encouraging innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.