What we do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
The Senior DevOps Engineer will support the Software Engineering Institute’s (SEI) mission by working with government customers to understand their challenges, identifying actionable solutions, and guiding programs to operationalize the most effective techniques and practices. Expertise in DevOps processes and tools, resilient system design and implementation, and requirements gathering and analysis enables team to develop comprehensive practices engineering processes tailored to rare customer needs, or improve existing processes to meet evolving challenges by demonstrating new technologies. Built on confirmed SEI software engineering methodologies and cyber security expertise, SEI’s engineering processes lead to efficient, successful, and secure product development and deployment.
You will participate in all phases of the application development lifecycle, and will be involved in key decisions regarding software design and technology selection including hands on development activities.
- BS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with ten (10) years of applicable experience; or Master's degree in CS, Information Systems, systems and /or engineering, acquisition management, with eight (8) years of applicable experience.
- Movement between buildings within the SEI and CMU community required.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This may include national travel to sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion. Anticipated 25-50% travel depending on work location.
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Deep knowledge of software engineering including detailed knowledge of at least three of the following strengths: requirements, architecture and design, program and acquisition management, performance improvement, assurance, and/or security
- Relevant experience within the last 5 years in working on a large software development program
- Deep familiarity with general Linux operating system concepts, development pipeline tools, etc.
- Knowledge of how to apply system engineering principles to system software development
- Ability to execute network assessments and report results, write documentation
- Understanding of basic computer systems, and network, database and application security issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively and manage time without supervision
- Ability to attend customer meetings and respond to customer requirements
- Highly motivated Self-starter individual with ability to multi-task, prioritize and be actionable
- Review and development of performance and capacity plans (operational capacity and load requirements)
- Experience with application disaster recovery, migration, roll-back plans, expansion, routine deployments, and system upgrade
- Able to lead and supervise others
- Hands on experience in an Ops/DevOps role with an emphasis on deploying and handling environments in cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, or similar)
- Hands-on experience with configuration management tools, chef, Puppet, or similar.
- Experience and proficiency with Linux administration and operation (preferably RHEL/CentOS)
- Experience developing in object oriented programming on Java, C#, C++
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python, Ruby, Perl, and Bash
- Experience setting up continuous integration & continuous delivery, log collection and analysis, software build & release, and performance monitoring/tuning
- Experience with modern web frameworks such as Django, Angular JS, React
- Experience with SDLC deployment packages Maven, Ant, Docker, etc
- Experience with source code repository Git, Mercurial, SVN, or TFS
- Experience with monitoring and logging tools such as Kibana, NewRelic, Nagios, Splunk, Graphite, Graphana, etc
- Experience fixing software applications and reading stack traces
- Knowledge of network switches, firewalls and routers
- Familiarity with system and task automation
- Familiarity with risk and security assessments
- Collaboration skills, with written and spoken communication skills
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem solving capabilities
Job Functions Breakdown:
85% Participate as a leader or member of dynamic technical teams in support of application development & delivery and DevOps assessment capabilities.
10% Identify and support the implementation strategies for the collection and application of learning and knowledge transfer from assignments (e.g. Dissemination of research results, case studies, guides, reports, presentations, articles, workshops, courses, and blog entries).
5% Perform other duties as assigned by the DevSecOps Innovation Team Manager, or Team Leads
100% total effort
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.