What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
We seek a database engineer to work closely with our machine learning research scientists on the CERT Data Science team. You will support our research initiatives by building and maintaining a variety of databases related to malware, netflow, cybersecurity training and evaluation, incident tickets, and more. You'll grow professionally by working alongside elite cybersecurity professionals and university faculty to build new technologies that will influence national cybersecurity strategy for decades to come. You may help to co-author research proposals and present findings to DoD sponsors and at academic conferences.
Our team works on a wide range of projects. Recent work includes classifying automated alerts, developing new code features to enable deep learning to identify security flaws and important design patterns in code, researching human-in-the-loop machine learning, and implementing inverse reinforcement learning methods in continuous spaces.
- BS in computer science, informations systems, or a related discipline
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Willingness to travel to customer locations, as well as conferences and other offsite meetings (5%)
Knowledge, Skills and Ablilites:
- Extensive experience building databases and data pipelines (both SQL and NoSQL)
- Deep knowledge of database normalization and in-database data manipulation
- Experience with data workflow tools such as airflow
- Comfortable working in the Unix command line
- Expertise accessing databases and processing data with Python, R, Elasticsearch, Kibana, and related data processing tools
- Superb communication skills
- Strong software engineering skills
- MS in computer science, informations systems, or a related discipline
- Some familiarity with statistical modeling
- Some familiarity with data sets in cybersecurity domains
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.