What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
The individual in this position will work as a member of the IT staff in the Network and Infrastructure Engineering group. The primary responsibility of this position is engineering and operation of the datacenter and cloud infrastructures. You will help evolve the existing datacenter infrastructure as well as play a key role in the engineering and operations of cloud and hybrid virtualization. You will have:
- Experience (two or more years) solving meaningful infrastructure problems in a production setting
- Experience administering cloud and on-premises virtualization technologies
- History participating in the entire lifecycle (planning, deployment, maintenance) of infrastructure monitoring and management
- Education/Training: BS in Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology with three (3) to five (5) years’ experience or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Licenses: None
- Experience: Experience as a systems engineer for a heterogeneous infrastructure in a professional environment required. At least two of the five years meaningful experience maintaining and evolving systems for the same organization is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Administration and operation of Microsoft Azure and Office365 cloud infrastructures. Experience with VMWare vSphere 5.x and 6.x.
- Experience with datacenter equipment (e.g. racks, power distribution equipment, serial console networks, environmental monitoring, KVM solutions).
- Experience in the deployment and operation of monitoring and backup systems for servers, network devices, environmental monitoring equipment and other datacenter devices
- Education/Training: MS in Information Science or Information Technology.
- Licenses: MCSA: Cloud Platform or VMware Certified Professional (VCP)
- Experience: Five years of experience as a system administrator in relevant technologies with some team leadership experience. Working with governmental accreditation requirements for operating IT environments and networks, such as NISPOM, DCID and STIG.
- Skills/Abilities: Operation and servicing of Dell server equipment, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager operations, SAN/NAS technologies, and Nagios.
- Other: Clearances: United States DoD Top Secret or equivalent that is transferrable to the SEI.
Job Function Breakdown:
50% Operation, monitoring and administration of the cloud and virtualization systems
30% Maintenance and evolution of the data center
10% User infrastructure problem identification / resolution
5% Develop draft documents on the proper configuration/use of facilities and services.
5% Maintaining awareness of evolving trends in backups and disaster recovery
TOTAL = 100%
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.