Woodland Park Zoo saves wildlife and inspires everyone to make conservation a priority in their lives.
The Sales and Events Coordinator supports and partners with the Director, Events & Promotions, to generate new business, develop existing clients (corporate and private), achieve departmental revenue goals, marketing events in external markets, increase zoo awareness within the community, and support the zoo as a tourist destination by carrying out a variety of responsibilities. Uphold a commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institution’s Core Values.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Generate new business and develop existing clients, corporate and private, to achieve departmental revenue goals
- Develop, design, market, and implement sales plans for zoo events to external markets through: direct mail pieces; advertising; participating in trade shows; participating in professional associations (Greater Seattle Chamber, NACE, etc.); cold calling potential clients; client site visits; etc.
- Design, update and maintain current sales collateral materials: sales information, packets, contracts, and invoices, etc., as necessary to maintain accurate and updated sales collateral
- Communicate (and direct as appropriate) all zoo departments impacted by a Group Sales event: Events team, Catering, Admissions, A/V, Visitors Assistance, Education, Animal Management, Maintenance, Security, etc.
- Update resources, including data in the Ungerboeck Event Management Software or equivalent systems
- Coordinate and Oversee scheduled event-planning needs with various zoo departments, outside vendors, and outside organizations or companies
- Respond to all Group Sales phone, web and booking inquiries within 24 hours. Mail contracts and invoices, and follow-up with clients within timeframes stated in Group Sales policies
- Generate revenue by cultivating outside leads, cultivating new business sources, and develop sales approach
- Responsible for the selling, and production coordination of, including but not limited to; admission tickets, exhibit tickets, zoo animal experiences, education programming, zoo activities such as Scavenger Hunts, Zoo Bingo etc.
- Promote and sell the zoo’s newest tour program, Premium Behind the Scenes Tours
- Partner with the zoo’s third party vendors, Event Network and Kamans, Inc in offering their products and services to Group Sales clients, maximizing profit margins for the zoo
- Reconcile all accounts payables and account receivables
- Prepare all Group Sales reports including: financials; data entry; and forecasting revenue trends for the Supervisor on a monthly basis
- Coordination and Oversight of all production aspects of sales events: creation, logistics, communication, planning and implementing, including but not limited to: reserving venue space; distributing event details; creating client event proposals; provide physical implementation and providing zoo event “day- of” coordination
- Assist in other zoo department sponsored events (Wildlights, Bunny Bounce, Zootunes and other zoo promoted public events etc.) as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or two plus years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent customer service skills on the phone and in person
- The capacity to achieve superior results working independently and as a member of a team in high- pressure situations
- Ability to understand, explain, and enforce policies to on-site staff, other zoo departments and the general public in a clear and confident manner
- Successfully demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines with professionalism
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills
- Washington State Driver’s License required
- Proficiency in, and experience working with: Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
This position will occasionally lift up to 50lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to a typical office environment and/or outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Applications are only accepted online through our Jobs page at www.zoo.org. Cover letter, resume and a list of references are REQUIRED when applying for this position. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled -- Apply now!
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.
Keywords: Event Sales, Event Planning, Outside Sales, Customer Service, Retail Sales