Lower Elwha Food & Fuel/Cedar Box Smoke Shop
Position: Grill Cook
Date: March 28, 2018
Salary range: $13.50+ depending on experience
Reports to: Shift Supervisor
Shift 1 Mon-Thurs 5:30pm - 10:30pm & Fri 5:30pm-12:30pm
Shift 2 Tue-Wed 1pm-7pm & Sat 5:30pm-12:30pm & Sun 5:30pm-10:30pm
The employee occupying this position will be required to perform a variety of duties inherent to cooking and preparing food. Customer service is very important.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for grilling requested food items in accordance with customers' specifications and preset recipes.
- The essential duties include the following
- Take grilled food orders from waiter
- Season and prepare food items for grilling
- Manage portions of grilled food items and garnish them
- Regulate temperature of broilers, grills, and roasters
- Wash, cut and peel meats and vegetables before preparing them for cooking
- Taste and evaluate food items before serving
- Receive raw food items from suppliers
- Ensure that all supplied items are of good quality and accurate quantity
- Ensure refrigeration and rotation of food items
- Label food items appropriately
- Discard any expired or near expiry food items
- Arrange prepared food items in an aesthetic manner
- Check and recheck equipment temperature to ensure the accuracy of order
- Maintain work area by cleaning and sanitizing constantly
- Clean and disinfect grilling and broiling equipment after use
- Ensure preventative and general maintenance of grilling equipment
- Make sure that food items are appropriately thawed before using
- Manage inventory of food supplies
- Cool food items down to standard temperatures before serving
- Must be bondable.
- Must be able to reach by telephone.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties.
- And other duties may be assigned:
Supervisory responsibilities: none.
Competency: to perform the job successfully, an individual should
demonstrate the following competencies:
Planning/organizing: prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently.
Safety and security: observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
Attendance/punctuality: is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Qualifications: to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Confidentiality: this position requires strict confidentiality.
Education and/or experience: 1-2 year experience in cooking and food prep and high school graduation or general education degree (GED); or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Desired qualifications: minimum of 1-2 years grill cooking experience, line cook experience of 1-2 years at minimum, food handlers permit required.
Language skills: ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
Mathematical skills: ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Reasoning ability: ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- the physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel with frequent hand and wrist movements; and talk or hear; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 Pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The employee will frequently use sharp knives, box cutters, etc.
- the work environment characteristics described here are
- representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Drug free workplace: the successful candidate will be required to follow Lower Elwha Klallam Tribal drug policies.
Indian preference: preference for Lower Elwha Klallam Tribal members is in effect for this position.