What We Do:
CERT is part of the Software Engineering Institute (SEI), a federally funded research and development center at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. We engage in state of the art research and development, and provides robust programs focused on ensuring that software developers, internet security experts, network and system administrators, and others are able to resist, recognize, and recover from attacks on networked systems.
As a member of CERT Systems Team, you will be responsible for crafting, developing, and deploying software applications and systems to improve the capabilities of CERT customers. You will participate in all phases of the software development lifecycle, and will be involved in key decisions regarding software design and technology selection, architecture and design of cyber-resilient and cyber-secure systems.
- BS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with three (3) years of applicable experience
- MS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with one (1) year of applicable experience.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion. Expected 15%
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
We are looking for someone who has the ability to function within a development team. Willingness to learn new skills, programming languages, and technologies as necessary, and a desire to solve meaningful problems through technical innovation.
- You have the skills to analyze customer requirements and provide novel solutions.
- Willingness and ability to provide accurate estimates of development time and risk.
- Capable to attend customer meetings and respond to customer requirements. Ability to multitask, solve problems and work with end users.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies (COTS/GOTS) and integrate them with existing applications and/or systems.
- Knowledge of various hardware architectures and embedded systems. Embedded system design and embedded software implementation.
- Experience as a software developer working on software applications in a professional environment.
- Familiarity with Web development languages, tools, and frameworks (such as Pyramid, Flask, Babel, ReactJS, Redux, PureScript, ReasonML, or Elm).
- Capable of working with software development tools such as version control systems (such as Git) and bug tracking systems (such as JIRA); knowledge of agile software development practices and team design sessions.
- Experience setting up, using, maintaining, and developing on UNIX/Linux systems.
- Working knowledge of general networking concepts and experience with deep software analysis, debugging, or reverse engineering, with some background in cyber security.
- Familiarity with containerization and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Knowledge of Hadoop or related big-data systems, LDAP directories, Web servers/reverse proxies (such as Apache httpd, Tomcat, nginx, or HAProxy), and working with development and operations (DevSecOps) technologies such as continuous integration.
- Familiarity with SQL and modern SQL databases (such as MariaDB, Postgres, or SQLite), as well as non-relational database technologies (such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase, or Neo4j).
Job Function Breakdown:
90% Design and implementation of software requirements and integrate with other software tools or relational databases.
5% Participate in conferences and meetings; join marketing calls on clients; present technical talks as appropriate.
5% Contribute to the broader software engineering and security community.
TOTAL = 100%
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.