This is your opportunity to join the dynamic Zoo Operations team at Woodland Park Zoo. Applications are now being accepted for Plumber in the Facilities department. There is one full-time, regular, benefited position to be filled at this time.
Performs journey-level plumbing installation, maintenance and repair work throughout the zoo facility including plumbing, sewer, drainage, heating and irrigation systems by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Install, maintain and repair drainage systems, fire protection systems, gas piping and equipment, heating and cooling systems, irrigation systems, soap piping and equipment, sewage disposal systems, water, sewer and steam lines, control devices and equipment air compressor systems and lines.
- Clear plumbing stoppages and repair fitting and line breaks and leaks.
- Cut and thread pipe and perform welding, soldering and brazing work for plumbing installation and maintenance tasks.
- Review plans for projects and checks for conformity with applicable specifications and standards.
- Make decisions in selecting appropriate materials and methods of work.
- Order parts and supplies as necessary.
- Maintain required records and prepare reports.
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods of the plumbing trade.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as to work and collaborate as a team member.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institutions’ Core Values.
Requires a minimum of four years of experience working at the plumbing trade under a qualified journey-level supervisor; or completion of an accepted plumber apprenticeship program; or a combination of education, training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
- Valid US driver’s license
- Journeyman Plumber’s license
- WA State Gas Piping Mechanic’s license
- WA State Backflow Assembler/Tester certificate
- Fire Sprinkler license desired
- Boiler license desired
Must have basic computer skills in order to access email and submit online timesheet, as well as knowledge and experience with Microsoft Word and Excel. Must be able to work with customized databases and technology, and conduct internet research.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 35 pounds, and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stand or walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to variable weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold or heat (non-weather) and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment varies from moderate to loud.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications are due prior to 12:00 AM on the posted Close date (i.e. by 11:59 PM the evening before).
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.