Get back to nature by working at the beautiful Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum!
We are searching for an enthusiastic Guest Services Assistant who will help ensure our members and guests start and end their visits with great experiences. Guest Services Assistants are also key to keeping communications flowing between our staff via calls through the switchboard, our 2-way radio system, and email. If you enjoy helping people and want to aid us in our mission, then please keep reading.
We are open every day of the year, so you will need to be available to work weekends, holidays and some evenings (like for Cool Summer Nights). But, in exchange you can watch the wildlife as you take your break, wave hello to an otter, or admire the view as a monsoon storm rolls across the valley. You might even find time in the day to meet our stingrays or catch a bear lounging in her pool. You could be among the first to know when there are baby prairie dogs, see a new art exhibit, or find a flying saucer cactus blooming! Sound like fun? Apply now through the Desert Museum's portal! Resumes, though certainly welcome, should not be submitted without a completed application.
This position was opened on February 7, 2019 and does not have a closing date. Application review will begin immediately. Please understand that if offered a position, you will, as a final condition of employment, be required to successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
Reports To: Guest Services Manager
Date Prepared: May 22, 2018
Part-time: 32 hours/week with benefits
Wage Progression: Initial Step is currently $11.32/hour with annual step increases based upon hire date and the bargaining unit agreement in effect at the time of the anniversary date. Current steps: Step 2 is $11.66; Step 3 is $12.01; Step 4 is $13.09; Step 5 is $13.48; Step 6 is $13.75; Step 7 is $14.03; Step 8 is $14.31.
Summary Meets ASDM guest service and communication needs by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Offers guests a positive first impression of the Museum by professional manner and appearance.
- Sells single and group admission tickets utilizing ticket software that prints number of tickets requested by guests and hand ticket(s) to guest.
- Accepts payment makes change and handles cash and credit card receipts in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Keeps daily balance sheet of cash received and tickets sold.
- Sells other items on occasion as needed, such as raffle tickets, special event tickets, etc.
- Assists guests with wheelchair, stroller and electric scooter rental and usage.
- Assists guests with lost or found items, minor first aids, separated parties, etc.
- May assist in coordinating group visits, including tour groups and school groups.
- May assist in compiling and mailing marketing materials.
- Answers questions concerning routes, schedules, and facilities.
- Explains and sells Museum memberships.
- May operate the PBX radio, pager, telephone systems and handle routine and emergency calls. (PBX functions as communication center for Museum emergencies.)
- Answers telephone in professional, friendly manner.
- Some cashiering duties such as the Sting Ray Exhibit and Plant Sale will require you to be outside and be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of one year of year computer experience, cash-handling, and customer service work is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with the Desert Museum is a plus.
Other Skills and Abilities
Ability to work weekends, holidays, and occasional evenings.
The above position description reflects a general overview of the responsibilities, reporting relationships and position requirements for this job classification. It is not intended to be a complete description of all duties and requirements that may be inherent in the position.