What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
At the SEI, we work in a dynamic environment that relies on having the right tools and information at our fingertips. The Enterprise Business Systems MIS team manages a suite of web applications that organize key business processes that link employees to the request and approval system’s that they need to do their job more effectively and be compliant with contractual obligations. As we continue to grow, our Front-End Developers play a significant role in furthering our code standards, ensuring the highest code quality and best user experience possible in coordination with designers, user experience strategists, and software engineers.
This position is a part of the MIS Software Development team dedicated to building tools for our financial services and business management teams for tracking spending across the institute. Working closely with our ui/ux design team and business services teams, MIS Software Developers build sophisticated, scalable web-based applications which allow for creating acquisition requests and facilitating approval of those requests. Given their central importance to the design process, MIS Software Developers must be imaginative, resourceful and highly analytical, with a passion for understanding and integrating the many dimensions of our institute-specific business needs. Because our culture emphasizes individual initiative and performance, self-directed candidates who take pride in their skills and productivity will thrive in this position.
- BS in computer science, or related discipline with 3 - 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of training or experience.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion. 5%
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Keeping up with the latest trends in front-end development.
- Analyze user requirements, defines application objectives, envision system features and functionality.
- Develop proofs of concept and prototypes as needed for engineering and design of IT applications.
- Define scope, coordinate schedules, and activities; test development and fix bugs across multiple environments and operating platforms and evolve applications as business changes demand.
- Supports users by developing documentation and assistance tools.
- Updates job knowledge by researching new internet/intranet technologies and software products; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhances team reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Supports and develops web application developers by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Some basic knowledge/experience of dynamic languages such as Coldfusion, PHP, ASP.
- Must also have a strong understanding of Git, advanced debugging skills, be familiar with data exchange formats such as JSON, and the ability to successfully work in a full-service development environment that uses source control, unit testing, issue tracking, and developer-level collaboration tools.
- Experience with a RDBMS, that supports a wide variety of transaction processing, business intelligence and analytics applications such as Oracle DB, SQL Server RDBMS, or MySQL.
- Ability to transform design mockups/wireframes into functional components.
- Use established agile processes and tools to manage work.
- Develop, test, implement and maintain complex web applications, databases and user interfaces.
- Develop technical program documentation such as end-user operational instructions.
- Consult with users to develop formal user requirements and translate those into application/database design, write interfaces to external applications or databases, conduct unit/functional testing, and transition the applications/databases to production.
- High attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and strong quantitative and reasoning skills.
- Ability to conduct product presentations to individuals and groups.
- Three years of experience with Agile methodologies.
- Three years of experience writing test cases, test scripts, and performing unit, functional, and integration testing.
- Experience with Git and source code management concepts such as branching, pull requests, and merging.
- Experience developing cross-platform and cross-browser compatible solutions.
- Experience creating self-contained, reusable, and testable modules and components.
- One year of experience with a modern query and/or data interchange formats such as JSON and XML.
- Proficient knowledge of a back-end programming language specifically or equivalent to ColdFusion, Python, PHP, Node.js, .NET, and etc.
Job Function Breakdown:
50% - Web Development: Design, develop, test, and implement technical solutions that support the portfolio of web applications maintained by the team. Design and develop applications in adherence with standards for code, design, performance, quality, security, and corporate policies. Define, conduct, and participate in testing including debugging and development walkthroughs. Assist in developing recommendations for future development, releases, and enhancements.
20% - Requirements: Collaborate with business teams, architects, and developers to understand high-level requirements and translate those into functional web applications in collaboration with other team members.
10% - Process: Partner with internal teams to improve internal business processes. Participate in knowledge sharing activities with peers to increase knowledge of software development practices.
10% - Planning: Provide technical leadership in the adoption and development of software engineering procedures, standards, and methods.
10% - Protoyping: Rough wireframe/proof of concept creation to help customers gain a better vision of possible solutions that can be provided.
TOTAL = 100%
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.