What We Do
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. We work closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
The SEI’s Tactical Technologies Group researches state-of-the-art technologies and builds advanced prototypes to support small units of first responders and military personnel operating in the field. We are seeking a Software Engineer to architect, design, and develop infrastructure and components for wearable systems incorporating environmental sensing, heads-up displays, biometric monitoring, and network communications. Languages include C, C++, Java, and Python. The position also provides opportunities to research and apply artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies to analyze images, video, and spoken language.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working with world-renowned researchers/engineers at the SEI, Carnegie Mellon University, and other universities and R&D centers.
If you are a software engineer passionate about bringing innovation to government, then this is the position for you.
- BS in Computer Science or related discipline, with eight (8) years of experience or equivalent combination of training or experience, or MS in Computer Science or related, plus five (5) years of experience or equivalent combination of training or experience.
- Three or more (3+) years of experience in systems and software development for network communications and distributed systems
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the Institute's overall mission. This includes within the SEI and Carnegie Mellon University community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion.
- You will be subject to a background check and must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense secret clearance
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in software architecture and development of low-level network communications software using C, C++, Java, or Python
- Experience in software architecture and development of distributed systems; mobile application development experience is a plus
- Experience with open source technology selection and management (e.g., comparing vendor technologies; community engagement; licensing)
- Strong software engineering and software architecture knowledge
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organizational skills
- Ability to work in small teams with a variety of technical and interpersonal skills.
- Superb interpersonal skills (oral and written)
- Familiar with communication protocols and technologies (e.g., Bluetooth, 802.1x, mesh networks, tactical radios)
- Familiar with virtual machine and container technologies (e.g., Xen, KVM, Docker)
- Familiar with database management technologies (e.g., Redis, PostgreSQL, Elastic Search)
- Familiar with software management and deployment tools (e.g., continuous integration, Atlassian stack)
Job Function Breakdown
40% SW Architecture, Development and Testing - Architecting, developing, and testing of software; integration of software and hardware for advanced technology demonstrators
40% Collaboration - Partnership and potential leadership on projects with CMU faculty, graduate students, SEI personnel, and defense-related professionals
10% Communications - Development of research/development project proposals and presentation of proposals and project results before internal (i.e., SEI and CMU teams) and external (e.g., professional conferences, DoD authorities) audiences
10 % Travel
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.