Scope of the Role:
This position is responsible for design and manufacture of profile extrusion tooling and the development of custom plastic extrusion processes with the objective of improving total quality, material usage and productivity. This position will work closely with the Pexco Manufacturing, QC, Maintenance, Materials, and Sales teams to provide leadership, support and training to achieve these common team objectives. This position reports directly to VP of Industrial Engineering.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Take ownership of new projects from start to finish. This includes communicating with internal stakeholders, customers and vendors to develop quotation. Understanding of different plastic resins and processing is a must. Must be able to identify the feasibility of the project and research equipment necessary.
2. Design tooling and develop processes for mono and co-extrusion plastic profiles, tubes and secondary fabrication individually or with other process engineers.
3. Lead new tooling development process for the project assigned using hands-on approach to meet customer expectation with quality and on time delivery of samples. Involves working on the production floor with production, maintenance and QC personnel to develop the process to get first article samples approved.
4. Coordinate the tooling needs for new products with Die Development, technicians, Production Manager and other involved in producing first article samples.
5. Oversee the tool making activities in the machine shop, ensuring that the tools produced by the machine shop are capable of meeting the design criteria and are up to the company's high standard for design and workmanship.
6. Oversee machine shop staff and schedule the work activities of the machine shop. Work closely with other engineers and VP of Engineering to establish priorities for the shop to ensure that the tooling delivered to the line is complete.
7. Must be proficient with AutoCAD and CAD/CAM software. Must have technical knowledge to trouble shoot WEDM, CNC milling machines and other machine shop equipment. Serves in the role of systems analyst for the machine shop, coordinating the company's contact in this particular area with outside vendors.
8. Work with Purchasing Manager to coordinate the procurement needs for the machine shop, including steel, other metals, and shop supplies.
9. Support other department and Pexco sites in their tooling needs. Actively seek ways to improvise process efficiencies by way of redevelopment in the shortest possible lead time and most effective design.
10. Work closely with vendors to get tooling made on time.
11. Troubleshoot process difficulties on daily basis and support production. Work with Production Manager to coordinate a timely response to the need for rebuilding tooling or handling other special tooling needs that cannot be planned for in advance.
12. Work on continual improvement projects to improve efficiencies and reduce scrap.
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.
13. Other key elements:
? Follow and support plant and corporate safety policies and initiatives.
? Assist, mentor and/or train other team members to enhance knowledge, skills and best practices.
? Plans, develops and coordinates tool development trials.
? Maintain engineering database and documentation as required.
? Perform other accountabilities as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Skills required:
1. BS in Engineering, 3-5 years of plastics manufacturing experience a plus. Plastic Extrusion die design and process development is a must.
2. 2 years minimum experience in a beginning supervisory position is highly recommended.
3. Ability to read and interpret technical drawings and specifications.
4. Must be HANDS-ON and be willing to work on the floor.
5. Proficient with AUTO CAD and CAD/CAM. Must have prior experience programming WEDM and CNC mill.
6. Must have very good technical knowledge of plastic extrusion process, terminology and extrusion tooling.
7. Understanding of plastic materials and ability to research materials.
8. Understand customer requirements and application.
9. Demonstrated experience managing multiple projects and attention to detail.
10. Task oriented, Strong analytical skills and well organized.
11. Strong interpersonal, excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the Organization.
12. Aptitude to learn and be a strong team player.
Key Skills and Attributes:
This position is currently accepting applications.