What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
The Senior Contracts Analyst will be responsible for providing professional level support in the areas of preparation, monitoring, tracking, and negotiation of Software License agreements and other agreement types as assigned. The other agreement types may include Subcontracts, Independent Contractors, Vendor Agreements, and Consulting Agreements. The Sr. Contracts Analyst in conjunction with the Contracts Manager will exercise independent judgment to ensure that the aforementioned contractual agreements are entered into on terms that comply with University policies and procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3-5 years of relevant experience.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion. Occasional Travel less than 10%.
- You will be subject to a background check.
- Performing initial review, analysis, redline, and negotiation of technology related contracts (software license agreements, maintenance agreements, amendments to existing agreements, and renewals) to comply with university policies and relevant laws.
- Interfacing actively and fostering relationships with stakeholders by participating in discussions with, and providing support and guidance to business managers, technical staff, and other internal departments on relevant issues.
- Obtaining approvals from management, legal and other departments as appropriate.
- Ensuring relevant stakeholders are informed of decisions, action plan, and timing.
- Assisting Contracts Officers with negotiating various other agreements to include Subcontracts, Independent Contractors, Vendor Agreements, and Consulting Agreements.
- Documenting and monitoring the contract negotiation lifecycle including updating the departmental contract management system, and monitoring the status of agreements.
- Tracking and monitoring contract agreement files for compliance issues.
- Generating reports and providing analytics to help drive business decisions.
- Updating and generating internal procedures for the Software License process. Identifying opportunities to streamline contract-related processes, and participate in process improvement projects.
- Provide back-up support for other members of the Contract Management team to ensure smooth operation of team. Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in the review and redlining of information technology related agreements, including software licenses, professional services and cloud services.
- Understanding of common software licensing terms, contract terms, and intellectual property law in relation to software and software licensing.
- Thorough and detail oriented; excellent oral and written communication, organization, teamwork, reading comprehension and writing skills; ability to manage time efficiently; demonstrated problem solving and applied analytical skills.
- Familiarity with academic research issues and federal contracting a plus.
- Highly motivated, self-starter willing to meet strict deadlines and time constraints; Capable of managing complex task independently while working with and supporting many stakeholders.
- Comprehensive computer skills including Advanced Microsoft Office Suite knowledge and Adobe Pro.
- Demonstrates characteristics of high potential for future development opportunities.
- After having absorbed CMU policies and regulations related contract administration, must be able to make decisions promptly, effectively and independently on issues pertaining to agreements.
- Preferred Education: M.B. A. or JD preferred.
- Prior experience in negotiating and redlining Software License Agreements and Federal Contracting preferred.
Job Function Breakdown:
50% Performing initial review, analysis, redline, and negotiation of technology related contracts.
20% Assisting Contracts Officers with negotiating various other agreements to include Subcontracts, Independent Contractors, Vendor Agreements, and Consulting Agreements.
15% Generating reports and providing analytics to help drive business decisions.
10% Updating and Generating Internal Procedures. Identifying opportunities to streamline contract-related processes, and participate in improvement projects.
5% Other duties and special projects as assigned.
TOTAL = 100%
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.