This position’s primary responsibilities include accounting and financial reporting for conditional grants, and related compliance activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Before Grant is Awarded
- Participate in planning for grant proposals from the accounting and compliance standpoint. Provide guidance related to funder terms and conditions that might impact project proposals (for example, allowable budget expenses, government agency rules, etc.).
- Review grant proposal budgets for reasonableness and accuracy, and ensure inclusion of our indirect cost ratio (or document any percentage not used).
- Assist with creation of proposal budgets for multi-departmental grants.
- Review terms and conditions of award and document requirements in coordination with Development/Grants team. Provide information as requested for the shared database of grants with reporting requirements.
- Participate in grant kick-off and monitoring meetings.
- Help develop systems/processes that ensure compliance with restrictions stated in grant agreements. Assist in continuously improving the accounting processes surrounding grant reporting and compliance.
- Work closely with the project manager/team to create necessary financial coding for each new grant. Provide guidance on how to use financial codes and ensure that codes are used properly. Work closely with project manager/team to understand grant project budget components, stipulations, and appropriate spending.
- Suggest updates to policies and procedures for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Ensure compliance with rules for federal grants (Uniform Guidance).
- Prepare or assist with grant, contract and sub award invoices.
- Assist with Sub-awardee financial monitoring.
- Gather and prepare support for grant revenue recognition.
- Prepare any related journal entries assigned.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations related to grant fund balances or other accounts.
- Assist project manager/team with reconciliation of project expenses to ensure internal balance amounts match the balance reported to donors.
- Support our Indirect Cost Rate negotiations and renewal efforts.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- At least two years experience working as a grants accountant dealing with federal grants. A working knowledge of federal grants rules is required.
- Solid Excel skills will be needed for this position. Accounting system experience preferred.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institution’s Core Values.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associates or Bachelor's degree (B. A.); or a minimum of three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Federal grant experience is highly preferred.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions and percentages.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, while going between trailers in inclement weather. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Cover letter and resume are required when applying for this position.
- Applications are only accepted online through our Jobs page at www.zoo.org
- No phone calls please
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications are due prior to 12:00 AM on the posted Close date (i.e. by 11:59 PM the evening before). This position will be open until filled.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression