What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
Are you a talented tier-one technical support person with the desire to work for an organization that is changing the world? Are you a highly motivated and customer-centric troubleshooter looking for your next opportunity? We are looking for you to join our dynamic IT team at the SEI! In this role, you will be responsible for providing advanced support and services including Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems. Desirable candidates will be able to demonstrate excellent customer service skills as well as possess the ability to troubleshoot a wide variety of technical issues.
- Associates degree in a technical field or equivalent plus 0-1 years of related experience with Help Desk and end user support.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion.
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- Diagnosing, troubleshooting and providing solutions for technical user problems.
- Install, configure and troubleshoot system and application software including email clients, office applications, and approved customer related requests.
- Areas of support include, but are not limited to Windows, Linux, Macs, mobile phones, tablets, audio and video teleconferencing, account management, printing and networking and a wide variety of technical issues that deal with the hardware and software.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of computer operating systems and common tools including networking, email clients, and web browsers
- Excellent troubleshooting, problem solving, interpersonal, and reasoning skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work remotely on After Hours coverage
- Ability to organize work in order to meet deadlines and user demands
- Ability to understand and follow directions
- Ability to interact well with customers with varying needs from government, business, and education spectrums
- Ability to assess support issues and either resolve or escalate to the appropriate resource for resolution
- Ability to communicate with users, including insuring that the user understands what the incumbent has communicated
- Being able to use our online tracking Service Desk System to track and document incidents and requests is required
- Certifications from CompTIA A+, CompTIA Networking+, CompTIA Security+
- Ability to create, develop and maintain documentation and training materials
- Ability to assist users by consulting on how to apply new technology to perform their job more efficiently
- Ability to handle new user training as needed
- Ability to answer help desk phone as needed
- Ability to work with other members of SEI Information Technology staff to resolve user problems and provide consistent and reliable help desk services
Job Function Breakdown:
40%: Directly responds to and resolves user problems. Consults with users on best use of applications and how to’s
20%: Trains users in system, network or software capabilities and functions. Training can be one-on-one or in a classroom setting. Assists in developing user documentation
10%: Installs software. Assists in product evaluations and makes recommendations for software purchases
10%: Updates skills as needed. Researches new technology to evaluate its use in the SEI computing environment or IT’s
10%: Account administration
10%: Other duties as assigned, including meetings, providing additional help desk coverage as needed
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.