What We Do:
At the SEI Emerging Technology Center, we describe our work as “making the recently possible mission-practical.” We help our government customers stay on the leading edge of new technology by identifying, demonstrating, extending, and applying emerging software technologies to solve real government problems. We currently work in the fields of human-machine interaction, applied artificial intelligence and machine learning, and advanced computing—areas that are changing and progressing rapidly. As we show our customers how new technologies can improve their mission capabilities through rapid prototyping and iterative development, we both rely on and shape academic and industrial research.
Are you creative, curious, energetic, collaborative, technology-focused, and hard-working? Are you interested in making a difference by bringing innovation to government organizations and beyond? Apply to join our team.
Position Summary: As the SEI ETC Chief Scientist or Chief Technologist on our team, you will shape and direct our research and technology portfolio.
- Technical Leadership and Portfolio Management: You have created, grown, and led research and advanced technology initiatives and portfolios. You have mentored, managed, and led teams of researchers and technology developers.
- Deep technical knowledge: You have performed and led extensive work in machine learning, artificial intelligence, advanced computing, human-computer interaction, computer vision, machine emotional intelligence, augmented and virtual reality, or related fields. You have worked with tools, software, and programming languages associated with your field.
- Research and advanced technology practices and publications: You have a track record that includes leading research, applying scientific methods, and developing advanced technologies. You have a reputation for the highest level of integrity. You have demonstrated technical contributions and have published your work across multiple fields.
- Engagement: You regularly scan and maintain awareness of technology trends and opportunities. You are familiar with technical challenges and emerging trends in computing and information science, and you are aware of opportunities in government and industry.
- Idea Generation and Proposal Creation: You have experience participating in and leading idea creation process, have formulated and delivered successful research and advanced technology proposals to research funding agencies, and led the resulting projects.
- Government projects: You have worked with DARPA, IARPA, Service Labs, or other government research sponsors.
- Research Leadership: You will oversee and lead a portfolio of novel research in rapidly advancing technical fields such as human-machine interaction, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and advanced computing.
- Talent Development: You will help identify, recruit, retain, mentor, and develop a high-caliber, interdisciplinary team of research scientists and advanced technology developers.
- Strategy: You will lead the Center’s process to plan, develop, and carry out an overall research and technology development strategy, and influence the national research agenda regarding future technology.
- Customer and Innovation Community Engagement: You will engage with customers and stakeholders. You will represent the Center’s research portfolio regularly presenting our work at collaboration venues and to customers. You will build and maintain relationships with the DoD innovation ecosystem including relevant research and technology communities.
- Collaboration: You'll actively participate on teams of software developers, researchers, designers, and technical leads. You'll collaborate with researchers and our government customers to understand challenges, needs, and possible solutions. You'll contribute to improving the overall technical capabilities of the Center by mentoring and teaching others, participating in design (software and otherwise) sessions, and sharing insights and wisdom across the SEI. You will work closely with the SEI CTO and other SEI Chief Scientists.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Communication and Collaboration: You are an exceptional communicator and can interact collaboratively and diplomatically with customers and colleagues at all levels of experience and knowledge. You grasp the big picture, direction, and goals of an effort while having the natural ability to dig into the details on problems and technical concepts and provide clear direction. You can present complex ideas to people who may not have a deep understanding of the subject area.
- Dedication and Motivation: You can meet deadlines while multi-tasking–sometimes under pressure and with shifting priorities. You are self-motivated and can work toward a common vision with little oversight.
- Creativity and Innovation: You are creative and curious, and you are inspired by the prospect of collaborating with premier researchers and visionaries at Carnegie Mellon University and innovation-focused organizations. You quickly learn new procedures, techniques, and approaches. You are forward-looking and can connect research with practical challenges.
- Knowledge and Learning: You possess broad technical interests along with a deep knowledge of a particular field such as human-computer interaction, data analytics and machine learning, advanced computing, and autonomy and artificial intelligence.
- BS in computer science, or related discipline with ten (10) years of experience; MS is the same fields with eight (8) years of experience; PhD in the same fields with five (5) years of experience or equivalent combination of training or experience.
- Flexible to travel to Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C., sponsor sites, conferences, and other meetings. Moderate (20-40%) travel outside of your home location.
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.