What We Do: The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.
You will assume a leadership position as Initiative Lead of the Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Mission Critical Embedded Systems Initiative (AIMCESI). You’ll be asked to lead, shape, manage and grow the initiative that will enable our customers to effectively acquire, utilize, implement, validate and maintain embedded systems that make use of Artificial Intelligence. You will be responsible for identifying effective methods, techniques and strategies that will enable the DoD to effectively utilize AI in their mission critical embedded systems and well as areas where AI could be used to solve new problems or enhance existing solutions. As the AIMCESI initiative lead you will develop and execute a technical agenda and strategic roadmap to continually improve the state of the art and practice of effectively using AI in military embedded systems. The Initiative Lead will communicate this technical vision and be capable of building consensus within the team and to maintain a successful culture built on high-quality and impactful customer work. The position of Initiative Lead is responsible for all aspects of developing and executing this body of work to include setting the technical direction, managing financials, business development, and personnel issues to include performance evaluation and hiring.
- BS in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, or a related quantitative field of study with ten (10), MS with eight (8) years of applicable experience or PhD with five (5) years of applicable experience.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion. Will be required to travel on overnight assignments, occasionally for several days (up to 25%).
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of the client's data requires innovation, creativity and an evaluation of various factors
- Understanding of statistical modeling techniques
- Familiar with at least one mathematical/statistical programming package (e.g., python numpy/scipy/pandas, R, MATLAB, etc.)
- Application of machine learning techniques (e.g., K-means, SVM, neural networks)
- Excellent technical written and oral communication skills
- Background with DoD systems
- 5+ years in developing software architectures in a complex system
- 10+ years software development experience
- 5+ years hands-on experience designing, writing, testing, and fielding software using one or more of the following languages: C/C++, SQL, Java, PHP, C# or Python
- Experience with a variety of system and software quality attributes (e.g. availability, security, performance, safety, maintainability, openness, extensibility, etc.) and their supporting architecture mechanisms, patterns, and trade-offs
- Experience developing software using various approaches to software development (e.g. Agile, Incremental, Waterfall)
- Experience working with embedded, real-time, fault tolerant software
- Experience design and evaluating software architectures using methods
- Experience in technical leadership in a software or systems engineering and /or program management environment
- PhD in Computer Science, or Math, Engineering, and Science
Job Function Breakdown
85% - Initiative Lead - Lead the AIMCESI Portfolio of work. Participate as a leader of technical teams in support of government acquisition programs. Identify and support the implementation strategies for capture and application of learning and knowledge transfer from assignments (e.g. dissemination of research results, case studies, guides, reports, presentations, articles, workshops, courses and blog entries).
10% - Staff Leadership - Identify and support the implementation strategies for the collection and application of learning and knowledge transfer from assignments (e.g. dissemination of research results, case studies, guides, reports, presentations, articles, workshops, courses, and blog entries).
5% - Other - Duties as assigned by the responsible Director, or Deputy Director
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.