This position manages all federal, state, and local tax reporting functions for Delta Western Petroleum and other NorthStar Energy operating companies to ensure full filing and reporting compliance. The primary responsibility is filing state and local sales taxes and State of Alaska fuel taxes as well as maintaining exemption certificates for fuel resellers. This position will also support the general accounting function in the areas of insurance and prepaids
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Prepares and files: all federal, state, and local excise tax and sales tax returns; federal fuel data reporting returns; and business property tax affidavits.
- Reconciles and maintains all tax accounts on the general ledger including changes in tax rates.
- Makes federal tax deposits.
- Maintains tax calendars and prepares annual tax budget.
- Monitors real property tax assessments and assists site managers with real property assessment appeals and other tax compliance matters.
- Maintains all business and operating licenses.
- Researches tax issues and monitors and implements regulatory changes.
- Prepares annual mailing for tax exemption compliance.
- Ensure the tracking and coding of insurance policies; reconciles prepaid insurance and other prepaid accounts.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Tax
- 4+ years specific experience in state and local excise and sales tax and federal fuel tax reporting.
- Excellent analytical skills with experience in creating new financial models
- Strong time management skills with demonstrated experience in managing multiple projects and deadlines
- Excellent teamwork and relationship-building skills
- Advanced Excel skills and demonstrated experience learning new software
- Excellent attention to detail
- Certified Public Accountant
- Experience with Sage or MAS 100