Disability Rights New York (DRNY) is the Protection & Advocacy System and Client Assistance Program (P&A/CAP) for persons with disabilities in New York. DRNY advocates for the civil and legal rights of New Yorkers with disabilities. The Intake Specialist will help identify clients’ needs and direct them to appropriate services.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
· Interview prospective clients, both in person and by telephone, to assess their situation and gather facts necessary to identify key issues;
· Review and summarize incoming written and electronic client correspondence to determine the writer’s needs;
· Obtain client information to assess eligibility for services, consistent with DRNY’s programs and priorities;
· Work with DRNY staff to identify appropriate solutions for client issues, and deliver limited assistance in relevant situations;
· Identify and provide appropriate resources, information and referrals to callers as needed;
· Clearly communicate with clients and others by phone, letter, or e-mail as necessary;
· Organize, update, and maintain confidentiality of client and case information, as well as electronic data and paper files;
· Accurately input and track case information in Disability Advocacy Database (DAD);
· Work both independently and with small teams to complete projects within appropriate deadlines;
· Participates as needed in special projects, such as outreach and training;
· Perform additional assignments, which may include providing administrative or clerical support, as needed or directed by staff.
· Bachelor’s degree preferred or 3 or more years of relevant experience;
· Previous experienc working in a non - profit or human services environment.
· Experience working with or for people with disabilities preferred;
· Bilingual language skills preferred;
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite;
· Database experience preferred;
· Professional and strong communication skills;
· Detail oriented;
· Strong organizational skills;
· Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals;
· Ability to multi-task.
· Critical Thinking: Able to understand a client’s needs when contacting DRNY while in crisis or under stress. Able to obtain necessary information, identify the problem, and direct the client to the appropriate DRNY program or external resource;
· Empathy: Have a respectful understanding of what clients are experiencing, listening to issues and adopting the best resources to solve problems;
· Patience: Able to stay calm, controlled and disciplined in both normal and high pressure situations. Give consideration to the emotions and feelings of clients and staff, without being reactive or rash;
The Intake Specialist usually performs work in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. This position is located in Rochester, NY, but the mission of the organization may sometimes take an Intake Specialist to non-standard workplaces or involve occasional work outside regular business hours.
Salary: DOE with Excellent benefit; Non-Exempt
DRNY is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.
To view more about our organization, check out our YouTube videos highlighting DRNY’s mission in advocating for the civil rights of individuals with disabilities. Please visit our DRNY YouTube Channel and review our DRNY Newsletter.