Catholic Charities – Diocese of Cleveland has been selected for the fourth year in a row as one of “The Plain Dealer’s Top Workplaces”. As one of the largest comprehensive health and human services organizations in the region, Catholic Charities, Diocese of Cleveland carries out Christ’s healing mission here in Northeast Ohio. Catholic Charities delivers more than 150 services at 60 locations to over 400,000 individuals each year – providing help and creating hope for people of every race and religion throughout the eight counties in the Diocese of Cleveland (Ashland, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Summit and Wayne).
The Teen Mentoring Program provides mentoring services to a target population of male and female youths, ages 11-17, of all races, who reside in Lorain County. This service is designed to assist at-risk youth in the community by providing social and recreational opportunities with a caring and guiding adult role model. The mentors serve as models with which youth identify and learn critical skills from. Mentors use a strength based approach to improve youth functioning by increasing socially appropriate behavior and reducing delinquent behaviors. Each mentoring relationship is unique and special, shaped by the different personalities and interests of the mentor and the youth.
The Mentor position will provide specialized support through mentoring to youth and/or parents to increase individual skills including but not limited to: improving social competencies, commitment to learning, positive values, positive identity, boundaries and expectations, constructive use of time, and empowerment.
This is a part time position from 16-18 hours per week.
Please note, a complete job description will be provided at the first interview if selected
- Combination of education and experience normally represented by a High School diploma or equivalent and one to two years related professional experience. Bachelor’s preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of hire.
- Must have good oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Must be well organized, detail oriented and have the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to role model being a caring, healthy, responsible adult demonstrating positive behavior.
- Must be able to form a supportive relationship while keeping professional boundaries with youth and or adults.
- Must have a valid Ohio Driver’s License and are subject to a Moving Vehicle Report (MVR) check through the Department of Motor Vehicles annually. Any MVR grade of “unacceptable” is not permitted to operate a personal vehicle on behalf of Catholic Charities.
- Must provide a copy of driver’s license and have reliable means of transportation.
- Must provide proof of auto insurance including effective dates of coverage and maintain a minimum liability insurance coverage of $100,000 per individual and $300,000 per occurrence for driving personal vehicle.
- Good working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office software
- Ability to work as a member of a team required.
- Ability to work with diverse client population, community organizations as well as staff at all levels.
- Final applicant is required to be fingerprinted to complete background check.
|As one of the largest comprehensive health and human services organizations in the region, Catholic Charities, Diocese of Cleveland carries out Christ's healing mission here in Northeast Ohio. Catholic Charities delivers more than 150 services at 60 locations to nearly 400,000 individuals each year - providing help and creating hope for people of every race and religion throughout the eight counties in the Diocese of Cleveland (Ashland, Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Summit and Wayne).