|We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is seeking an External Relations Manager as part of our Outreach team to develop and maintain strategic relationships with organizations and individuals in order to build awareness of Mercatus Center research and its value in policy reform. This role works closely with members of the Outreach, Communications, and Policy Research teams and reports to the Director of External Relations.
- Establish and maintain relationships with organizations and individuals who benefit from learning about Mercatus research
- Catalogue and provide up-to-date information to Mercatus scholars about current and anticipated policy action of external organizations relevant to Mercatus research initiatives
- Assist Mercatus Outreach and Policy Research teams in evaluating the highest value contribution that Mercatus scholarship can bring to public policy debates, including original and derivative research products
- Collaborate with researchers and staff to develop and implement communications strategies, messaging, and tools to promote Mercatus research to external audiences, including non-profits, think tanks, and other policy stakeholders
- Design and oversee the execution of educational events for external audiences
- Effectively communicate Mercatus research findings and implications at events, conferences, and meetings
- 2-3 years of relevant work experience at a non-profit, trade association, legislative office, or similar organization(s)
- Demonstrated experience building relationships across diverse organizations and with individuals
- A proven track record with project management and evaluation
- Ability to balance multiple responsibilities
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and coordinate across teams
- Interest in and commitment to market-oriented ideas and understanding of economic concepts
- Curiosity, creative thinking, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with a customer relationship management system (e.g., Salesforce) is preferred, but a willingness to learn is very important
Help Us Grow
Please submit your cover letter and resume through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center's mission.
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, a parking permit, and free credits at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For over 25 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world's premier university source for market-oriented ideas-bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society's most pressing problems.