Reporting to ITW Welding Vice President of Innovation and Technology, work with Platform and Division leaders to create enabling hardware and software technology and develop new or improved weld processes. This position works with Customer Back Innovation plans and road maps and enables value propositions with technology and proven module designs within a small team of technology experts.
• As a key member of the Innovation team, review Divisional and Platform market trends, road maps, value propositions and technology needs to include creating:
Technology road maps
Cohesive controls and software strategy
Emerging welding information management technologies & diagnostics across the Divisions
Next generation power supply design in both utility and rotating products
New and improved weld processes to include tubular wire, guns and equipment synergies.
• Foster an environment of Front to Back and Customer Back Innovation prioritization, teamwork across the organization and technical capability to meet organic growth targets.
• Directly manage technology staff and talent based on organization connectivity, 80/20 Focus, technology leadership and enabling value propositions.
• While leading the technology staff with deep subject matter expertise, determine and manage technology risk, keeping risks off NPD critical path.
• Become a trusted advisor for senior managers while working in technology planning and NPD execution to include manpower needs.
• Develop and implement segment-wide employee centric programs to create learning communities, career paths and social experiences for engineers.
• Establish 80/20 university relationships for our technologies and corporate goals to sustain the talent pipeline.
• Bachelor degree in engineering or related field. Master's degree in engineering management or MBA.
• Minimum 10 years of business experience and 5 years of management experience. Managed large, diverse technical teams across multiple locations, who provide technical building blocks and technology in a decentralized business structure.
• Skilled innovator with experience working in power supply markets. Additional experience in power electronics and software preferred.
• Strong understanding of a diverse set of technologies with a pragmatic thought process around customer value.
• Able to bridge electrical principles to weld process and metallurgy.
Strategically Positions Business to Win the Markets - Develops and executes a compelling logical outside-in strategy and vision that is aligned with the enterprise strategy. Ability to understand markets, technical trends and product development initiatives. Effectively applies ITW's enterprise growth framework. Understands ITW's definition of sustainable differentiation and invests to create, build, and defend it. Recognizes the opportunity cost implications associated with strategic choices.
Delivers Results - Delivers near term business improvement (organic growth and margins) while simultaneously investing in sustaining the core competitive advantages of the business and maximizing its long term profitable growth potential. Delivers on annual and long range plan commitments consistently. Has a strong ability to work through others and assess and drive organizational focus on the '80' issues and opportunities.
Technical Proficiency - Must have proven success in conceptual design through product development with demonstrated ability to manage and mentor a team of highly skilled internal and external engineers to create innovative and high-performance products.
Develops and Manages Talent - Strong coach/mentor that shares talent for their development. Hires, develops, and retains a diverse pipeline of great leadership talent. Assesses performance objectively and candidly; makes tough calls when necessary.
Leads Effectively - Always acts with integrity. Lives/embodies ITW's values with global cultural awareness. Creates and effectively communicates vision for the business and aligns his/her team and senior management behind it. Takes ownership: drives positive change and challenges the status quo. Addresses issues with courage. Leads and behaves from an 'enterprise first' perspective. Builds teams and influences without authority.
ITW Business Model - An expert in 80/20 business processes, customer-back innovation, and decentralized entrepreneurial culture and values.