Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. Winrock matches innovative approaches in agriculture, natural resources management, clean energy, and leadership development with the unique needs of its partners. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
The non-profit American Carbon Registry, (ACR), an enterprise of Winrock International, is a leading carbon offset program recognized for its strong standards for environmental integrity and its leadership in carbon market innovation. Founded in 1996, ACR has two decades of unparalleled experience in development of rigorous, science-based carbon offset standards and methodologies as well as operational experience in the oversight of high quality offset project listing, verification, registration, offset issuance, serialization and on-line retirement reporting.
In addition to its voluntary carbon market activities, ACR is an approved Offset Project Registry (OPR) for the California Cap-and-Trade Program. In this role, ACR works with the state regulatory agency to oversee the registration and issuance of compliance-eligible Registry Offset Credits, which once transitioned to compliance offset credits can be used by California entities to help meet their emissions reductions obligations in the Cap-and-Trade Program. ACR is also approved by the state of Washington to supply offset credits for the regulated carbon market under the Clean Air Rule.
The Senior Program Officer is a senior technical role within the American Carbon Registry (ACR), providing leadership on all aspects of registry services management, including, but not limited to managing the development of new standards and methodologies; overseeing the review and approval of project listing applications, data reporting and verification documents; constructively engaging with ARB, project developer clients and verification bodies to formulate responses to technical issues; growing ACR's business through outreach activities with target clients and in target markets and through the development and/or approval of innovative GHG emissions reduction quantification methodologies and verification strategies.
Location: Arlington VA, Sacramento CA, Telecommuter
ACR is an ARB approved Offset Project Registry (OPR) for the California cap-and-trade program and anticipates being approved to supply offsets in other new compliance markets. ACR prides itself on providing technical knowledge and responsive customer service to all our clients. The Senior Program Officer will have a detailed understanding of and experience in global carbon markets, a range of offset methodologies (industrial, energy, land use and forestry, including REDD), and GHG quantification and verification requirements to ensure that projects move through the Registry process efficiently, while ensuring ACR/regulatory compliance and technical rigor and quality.
Manage activities, collaborate with the team and serve as an independent contributor to the following:
• Manage multidisciplinary teams for standards and/or methodology development and approval including drafting standards and verification requirements, overseeing technical review with experts, managing the stakeholder consultation and scientific peer review process and resolving technical and policy issues for publication.
• Oversee the accurate and timely review and approval of documents for listing, verification and registration of California compliance projects including ODS, Livestock, Mine Methane Capture (and potentially forestry) as well as new protocols as approved by ARB as applicable, following ARB technical protocol requirement and the all regulatory requirements under AB32.
• Oversee the accurate and timely review of documents for listing, certification and registration under the ACR offset program, the voluntary market and other programs as they evolve for a variety of sectors with emphasis on ODS / refrigerants, REDD+, transportation fleet efficiency, landfill gas, and energy (CCS, pneumatic valves, renewables).
• Track and understand technical guidance from the Air Resources Board related to the approved Compliance Offset Protocols and the Cap and Trade Regulation affecting Registry processes.
• Track and understand emissions unit criteria for the ICAO CORSIA program.
• Identify opportunities and partners for business development / market expansion; Lead efforts for funding and implementation of selected opportunities.
• Serve as an ACR senior technical representative on key GHG / carbon market/ climate industry committees (ie: American National Standards Institute)
• Represent ACR at meetings with clients, regulatory agencies and other organizations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND
Education: Advanced degree in Environmental Science, Physical Sciences, Natural Sciences, Engineering, Forestry, Agriculture, or related field.
• At least 15 years of business experience including at least 10 years of direct experience working with projects in the carbon, ecosystem, sustainability, supply chain and other environmental markets.
• Deep expertise in GHG accounting, verification and auditing standards and procedures and experience with development and/or verification of emissions reduction project types including REDD+, industrial processes (ODS, mine methane), livestock, transportation fleet efficiency, landfill gas, energy (CCS) and renewable energy.
• Networks with corporations, NGOs and institutions engaged in carbon markets, climate finance and climate policy.
• Networks with climate change practitioners including project developers, verifiers, regulators / governments, and accreditation bodies (ISO, ANSI etc).
• Demonstrated project management ability including tracking and meeting deadlines, budgeting and reporting for multiple activities and clients.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Demonstration of high level of client service including thorough and timely responses to client and partner enquiries.
• Strong speaking, presentation and written communication skills.
• Experience in effective lead generation and business development
• Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Fluency in one or more additional languages is preferred
Other: Must be available to travel domestically for short-term assignments. Commitment to Winrock's mission and interest in market-based approaches to reducing greenhouse gas emissions required. Candidate must be comfortable working in a flexible, high-paced environment and able to work well in teams and also independently.